Size: 36inch & 28inch
Country of Origin: United States
Selling 2 historically important items consisting of an 18K engraved head cane and an engraved head swagger stick, each belonging to the Gunner on the USS Newark, last US Navy warship to carry full set of sails and the first modern cruiser in the US fleet. The 18k solid gold head is profusely hand engraved with foliate designs and the inscription, Presented to Gunner, H B Soule, USN as a token of esteem by the gunner's mates of the USS Newark 1893-1896. The shaft appearsis gutta percha, like brown Union cases were made of, and tipped by a gold-plated iron-tipped ferrule. Soule must have been presented this stick just before the Newark was put in harbor for a remake.
The rosewood shaft swagger stick is engraved on the head Mas. Soule, Olangapo, P. I., a port in the Phillipines just west of Manila. This shows that Soule was reattached to the Newark when going to the conflicts in both the Phillipines and the Chinese Boxer rebellion. The swagger stick has, in addition to the sterling head, a fancy engraved sterling band and a finely made sterling tip.
USS Newark, a 4083-ton protected cruiser, was built at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and commissioned in February 1891. She served in the Atlantic and European waters up to 1897, then commenced an extensive overhaul, which finished in time for her to operate off Cuba during the Spanish-American War. In 1899, she steamed around South America to the Pacific, and then went on to join the Asiatic Squadron.
Newark returned to the east coast by way of the Indian Ocean and Mediterranean in 1901, and commenced five years' duty in the western Atlantic and Caribbean areas. She then was employed as a Naval Militia training ship and as station ship at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Stricken from the Navy List in June 1912, Newark was transferred to the Public Health Service for use as a quarantine ship. During World War I, she was an annex to Naval Hospitals at Newport, Rhode Island, and New York. She was disposed of by sale in September 1926.
Jun. 10, 1900 — Vice Adm. Sir Edward Seymour, KCB, the senior foreign officer in northern China, led a force of 2, 129 men representing eight nationalities from Tientsin to reopen communications with Peking. The expedition included 112 American seaman and Marines from the cruiser USS Newark (C 1) under Captain Bowman H. McCalla. First attacked by Boxers on June 13, the column was forced to retire four days later after pushing to within 25 miles of Peking.
Newark operated off the Atlantic coast for ten months, taking part in maneuvers and exercises until detached 8 December at Norfolk Navy Yard. There she remained, undergoing post-shakedown overhaul until being assigned 11 March 1892 to the North Atlantic Squadron and sailing on the 14th for the West Indies. The cruiser operated in Caribbean waters and off the lower east coast, showing the flag in West Indies ports until returning to Norfolk 5 June where she was made flagship of Rear Admiral Andrew E. K. Benham, Commander of the newly formed South Atlantic Squadron, 25 June. She departed 17 July for Cádiz, Spain to participate in the ceremonies commemorating the 400th Anniversary of Columbus' sailing. Arriving on the 30th, she remained until 2 August then sailed for Genoa, Columbus' birthplace, arriving one month later to continue the celebration. Putting out from Genoa on the 25th, Newark cruised the Mediterranean and the Adriatic, visiting many ports until arriving 11 February 1893 at Cádiz to take in tow a full size reproduction of caravel Nina and sailing on the 18th for home.
Transferred to the Naval Review Fleet for temporary duty 1 March, the cruiser arrived Havana 21 March, parting with Nina there, thence sailing to Hampton Roads and New York where she picked up the caravel once more and proceeded down the St. Lawrence River to Quebec, leaving the little ship there 11 June and returning to Norfolk 22 June. Newark next sailed 20 September, this time for Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to protect American interests, arriving 20 October and remaining until 1 April 1894. The warship then operated off the South American coast with the South Atlantic Squadron, making one cruise to South Africa from August to October 1894 and another the same time the following year, before returning to Norfolk 27 April 1896. Assigned to the North Atlantic Station 4 May, she joined her squadron at New York 25 June and engaged in patrol duty and exercises off the southeastern coast until decommissioning at Norfolk 6 March 1897.
Following extensive overhaul, Newark recommissioned 23 May 1898, shortly after the declaration of war on Spain, Captain A. S. Barker in command. She sailed 13 June for Key West and then Cuba, joining the blockade 30 June. Cruising in Cuban waters throughout the summer, the warship bombarded the port of Manzanillo 12 August and on the following day accepted its surrender. After the Battle of Santiago, she participated in the final destruction of Admiral Cervera's fleet through bombardment of the burned hulks. Newark returned to New York 26 November 1898.
Departing New York 23 March 1899, the cruiser steamed down the coast of South America on patrol, stopping at numerous ports along the way. In the middle of her cruise, 7 April, she was ordered to proceed through the Straits of Magellan to San Francisco. The ship, low on coal, was forced to put into Port Low, Chile, from 31 May to 22 June to cut wood(!) for fuel. Finally arriving Mare Island Navy Yard 4 September, Newark underwent repairs and then sailed 17 October via Honolulu for the Philippines arriving Cavite 25 November. The warship took station off Vigan, Luzon, landed troops for garrison duty, then moved on to Aparri 10 December, receiving the surrender of insurrectionists in the provinces of Cagayan, Isabela, and Bataan.
On 19 March 1900, she sailed for Hong Kong to rendezvous with monitor Monadnock 22 March and convoy that ship to Cavite, arriving 3 April and staying there until sailing for Yokohama 24 April, arriving 3 days later. The ship then hoisted the flag of Rear Admiral Louis Kempff, Assistant-Commander of the Asiatic Station and sailed 20 May for China to help land reinforcements to relieve the legations under siege by the Boxers at Peking. Arriving Tientsin 22 May, Newark operated in that port and out of Taku and Chefoo, protecting American interests and aiding the relief expedition under Vice Admiral Seymour, R.N., until sailing at the end of July for Kure, Japan, and then Cavite where she hoisted the pennant of the Senior Squadron Commander in the Philippines. She sailed for home in mid-April 1901, via Hong Kong, Ceylon and Suez, arriving Boston late July 1901. She decommissioned there 29 July.
Thomas Bradbury & Sons were manufacturers based in Arundel Street, Sheffield from 1832 to 1916, however the company’s origins can be traced back even further to the late 19th Century when it was known as Fenton, Creswick & Co which was one of the original companies to enter a mark at the newly opened Sheffield assay office in 1773. Thomas Bradbury I became a partner in the company in 1795.