Nelson McCoy and his father J. W. McCoy started the Nelson McCoy Sanitary Stoneware Co. in Roseville, Ohio in 1910. McCoy made a wide array of functional items from kitchen and food storage items to foot warmers. In 1925, McCoy began a major expansion, leading to production of many new types of art pottery. Soon decorative pottery in the form of vases, umbrella stands, pedestals, and jardinières became the majority of their output. In the 1960s, McCoy found it increasingly difficult to make a profit due to cheaper imports. McCoy was first sold to The Mount Clemens Pottery Company in 1967 and later to the Lancaster Colony Corporation in 1974. All production ceased in 1990 and the company went out of business.