1905-today The individuals who etched the early history of Anchor Hocking were gritty, persistent, inventive and adventurous. The first was Isaac J. Collins, a native of Salisbury, Maryland who in 1903 moved to Lancaster, Ohio In 1905, a firm named the Lancaster Carbon Company went into receivership and its plant, called the Black Cat from all the carbon dust, was on the market. He called his company the Hocking Glass Company, named for the Hocking River near which the plant is located. During the 1920s Hocking revolutionized tableware production with a machine that pressed glass automatically. The 1929 stock market crash, which put many companies out of business, merely sent Hocking Glass engineers back to the drawing boards. Their challenge: develop a means of producing tumblers so cheaply that they could be sold in volume. On October 17, 1977, Anchor Hocking adopted a new symbol and a new logotype to identify the company to the world. The new symbol, a blue anchor with a modern, contemporary appearance. The blue anchor replaced the red Anchor-H, which identified the company since 1937 when the Hocking Glass Company merged with the Anchor Cap Corporation to become Anchor Hocking. The same blue anchor represents Anchor Hocking today. Today, Anchor Hocking enjoys the financial backing and support resources of its growing parent company, Newell. In March, 1999 Newell completed the acquisition of Rubbermaid Incorporated. The combined company is now called Newell Rubbermaid Inc.