Home :: Autographs :: Historical



  •  per page
  • Price: $79.00
    Autograph, General Jedediah Huntington
    Revolutionary War General 1781 Document Signed (1743-1818) He was an American general in the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He was born in Norwich, Connecticut. As the Revolutionary War approached, Jedidiah Huntington joined the Sons of Liberty, and was an active Captain of the Militia. Promoted to the command of a regiment, he joined the army at Cambridge, April 26, 1775, just a week after the battle of Lexington. His regiment was part of the force detailed for occupying Dorchester Heights; and, after the evacuation of Boston by the British, marched with the army to New York. He fought courageously during the Battle of Bunker Hill, from which he emerged a Colonel. He entertained the Commander in Chief, General George Washington, on the way, at Norwich, Connecticut. During the year 1776, he was at New York, Kingsbridge, Northcastle, Sidmun's Bridge, and other posts. In April 1776, he helped repulse the British at Danbury, Conn., assailing the enemy's rear, and affecting a junction with his fellow townsman, Benedict Arnold. In March 1777, Roger Sherman wrote that Col. Huntington was recommended by General Washington as a fit person for Brigadier General, but that Connecticut had more than her share. On May 12, 1777, he was promoted to that rank, as Mr. Sherman stated, at Gen. Washington's request. In July, he joined Gen. Putnam at Peekskill, with all the Continental troops which he could collect; whence, in September, he was ordered to join the main army near Philadelphia, he remained at headquarters, at Worcester, Whippin, White Marsh, Gulph Hills, etc. In November, on the information of the enemy's movement upon Red Bank, he was detached with his brigade, among other troops, to its relief, but Cornwallis had anticipated them. Having shared the hardships of his companions in arms at Valley Forge, through the winter of 1777 - 1778, he, together with Col. Wigglesworth, was, in March, appointed by the Command in Chief, to aid Gen. McDougall in inquiring into the loss of forts Montgomery and Clinton, in the State of New York; and into the conduct of the principal officers commanding those posts. In May, Huntington was ordered with his brigade to the North River, and was stationed successively at Camp Reading, Highlands, Neilson's Point, Springfield, Shorthills, Totowa, Peekskill, West Point, etc. In July, he was a member of the court martial which tried Gen. Charles Lee for misconduct in the battle of Monmouth; and in September, he sat upon the court of inquiry to who was referred the case of Major Andre. In December of 1780, his was the only Connecticut Brigade that remained in the service. On May 10, 1783, at a meeting of officers, he was appointed one of a committee of four to draft a plan of organization, which resulted in their reporting, on the 13th, the Constitution of the Society of the Cincinnati. 1781 Document Signed : 6 x 4, imprinted document filled out in ink. State of Connecticut. Pay Table Office, Hartford, December 26, 1781. Sir, Pay unto Ralph Pomeroy, Esq., D.Q.M. on Order, four Pounds Lawful Silver Money, out of the Tax of Two Shillings and Six Pence on the Pound, granted by the General Assembly in May last, and charge the State. John Lawrence, Esq., Treasurer. Signed by Committee members, Fenn Wadsworth and William Mosely, and also bears the signature of J. Huntington which is cross written on the document. Signed on the reverse by Deputy Quarter Master, Ralph Pomeroy. Light age toning and wear. Very fine Revolutionary War document.
  • Price: $50.00
    Autograph General William Carroll
    Governor of Tennessee (1788-1844) Born near Pittsburgh, Pa., he moved to Tennessee in 1810, established a nail factory in Nashville, and became a successful entrepreneur. Carroll became involved in the Tennessee militia, forming a company who voted him as their captain, and he was appointed brigade inspector by Major General Andrew Jackson in November 1812. Jackson described Carroll as indefatigable and noted that Carroll was the best Brigade Major in the armies of the U.S.....and he ought and must be at the head of the regiment. Carroll displayed his leadership and courage during the Creek War of 1813-14, taking part in the battles of Talladega, Emuckfau, Enotachopco, and at Horseshoe Bend (Tohopeka) where he was wounded. In 1814, when President James Madison appointed Andrew Jackson a major general in the U.S. Army, William Carroll took his place as major general of the Tennessee Militia. At the battle of New Orleans on January 8, 1815, Carroll led more than 3,000 troops with his men forming the center of General Jackson's line at the Rodriquez Canal, where they poured in accurate volleys that decimated Pakenham's advancing forces. Carroll was an important officer for General Jackson, proving his worth at New Orleans, and in the Indian battles preceding the Louisiana battle. Carroll also proved that well led and drilled militia forces could perform well against the British Regulars. In 1813, Carroll became involved in a quarrel with another Jackson subordinate, Jesse Benton, that culminated in a duel on June 14th of that year. Jackson initially tried to defuse the quarrel, but, unsuccessful, he agreed to be Carroll's second. In the duel, Carroll lost part of his thumb, and Benton was shot through the hip, but both survived. Benton's older brother, Thomas Hart Benton, was enraged after hearing Jackson had supported Carroll, and would later injure Jackson in a brawl in Nashville over the incident. After the war, Carroll's business enterprises continued to flourish and he became involved in steamship transportation, having the steamboat General Jackson built for him in Pittsburgh. William Carroll served as Governor of Tennessee, from 1821-27, and 1829-35. One of his sons, William Henry Carroll, was a Confederate Brigadier General during the War Between The States. Signature : 4 3/8 x 2, large ink autograph, Wm. Carroll. There is a vertical cut in the paper that runs through the first l in Carroll that has been repaired on the reverse.
  • Price: $15.00
    Autograph, Mary A. Denison
    Writer, Editor and Nurse During the Civil War (1826-1911) Born in Cambridge, Mass., she was educated in Boston schools, and married the Reverend Charles W. Dension, who at the time was editor of the Emancipator, the first anti-slavery journal in New York. Mary later became the editor of the Lady's Enterprise, she wrote novels for Ballou and Burdick in the 1850's, and short stories in Gleason's Literay Companion in 1860. In 1863-65, the last two years of the Civil War, her husband was post chaplain in Winchester, Va., and hospital chaplain in Washington, D.C. Mary accompanied him and served as a nurse tending to the care of the sick and wounded soldiers. During her literary career, she wrote some 60 novels under the pen name of Clara Vance, and numerous short stories under her name that were published in Godey's Lady's Book, Golden Days and Frank Leslie's Monthly. Signature With Sentiment : 4 1/4 x 2 3/8, in ink, With regards, Mary A. Denison.
  • Price: $10.00
    Autograph, Norman A. Merritt
    Postmaster of Washington, D.C. A native of Lockport, New York, he was the son of John A. Merritt, who held the post of Collector of Customs at Niagra Falls, N.Y., and was also the former Postmaster of Washington, D.C. Norman A. Merritt, was appointed Acting Postmaster of Washington, D.C., on October 21, 1909, by President William H. Taft. Earning for himself an exceptionally good record, he was appointed Postmaster of Washington, D.C., by President Taft, on September 30, 1910. The younger Merritt was regarded as one of the most efficient officers in the U.S. Government service. Signature With Title : 3 1/2 x 1 1/2, in ink, N.A. Merritt, signed above his typewritten title as Postmaster.
  • Price: $25.00
    Autograph, Actress Helen Western
    Her photograph was among those found in the possession of Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth when he was captured and killed! (1843-68) She was the daughter of actress Jane English, and later became a well-known actress herself. Helen Western made her stage debut at the age of 5 years old, playing the role of Eva in Uncle Tom's Cabin. Along with her sister Lucille, she toured as one half of the duo called the, Star Sisters. Their debut was in a production called Three Fast Men, at the Bowery Theatre, in New York City, in 1858. This became their signature play and the sisters remained there until 1861. After touring England for 3 years, Helen returned to the New York stage appearing in The French Spy, at the Broadway Theatre. A friend of President Lincoln's assassin, John Wilkes Booth, her photograph was found among the 5 ladies carried by the actor at the time of his capture and death. She married playwright and actor James A. Herne, on July 16, 1866, and died in Washington, D.C. in 1868 after a brief illness. Signature : 4 1/2 x 4 1/8, in ink, Yours, Helen Western. Light age toning. Nice large autograph. Very desirable John Wilkes Booth and President Abraham Lincoln assassination related item.
  • Price: $50.00
    Autograph Charles O'conor
    Senior counsel for Jefferson Davis in his treason case against the U.S. government Nominated for president of the U.S. in 1872 (1804-84) Born in New York City, he studied law, and in 1824, before he had reached the statutory age of 21, was admitted to the bar, and soon became highly respected in his profession. He earned acclaim and a national reputation for his successful handling of the Forrest Divorce Case. Other celebrated cases that he handled include the Slave Jack case in 1835; the Lemmon Slave case in 1856; the Jefferson Davis treason case against the U.S. Government in which he was senior counsel for the ex-Confederate President; he also appeared on the bond and bail case of Jeff Davis; and he played a prominent role in the prosecution of Boss Tweed and members of the Tweed Ring, in 1871, eventually destroying the ring at the height of their power in N.Y.C. He was a presidential elector in 1852, voting for Franklin Pierce, and served as U.S. Attorney, for the Southern District of New York, 1853-54. He was nominated for president of the United States by the Bourbon Democrats during the 1872 election. He had close ties with Southern Democrats because of his sympathy for slavery and the right of secession. In the controversial electoral contest of 1876, he appeared as an advocate for Democrat Samuel J. Tilden. Signature with sentiment : 3 5/8 x 1 1/8, in ink, Yrs. &c, Ch. O'Conor. Light age toning. Very desirable Jefferson Davis related autograph.
  • Price: $125.00
    Autograph Adolphus W. Greely
    Civil War officer of the 19th Massachusetts Infantry who was wounded in the battle of Antietam Chief Signal Officer, U.S. Army Major General, U.S. Army Famous Artic Explorer Recipient of the Medal of Honor (1844-1935) Born in Newburyport, Mass., he enlisted on July 26, 1861, as a private, and was mustered into Co. B, 19th Massachusetts Infantry. He was promoted to corporal and sergeant, exact dates unknown; 2nd lieutenant, on March 18, 1863; 1st lieutenant, on April 14, 1864; captain, on March 26, 1865; and brevet major, March 13, 1865. In the early 1880's, Greely became quite famous as an Artic explorer. In March 1887, President Grover Cleveland appointed him as Chief Signal Officer of the U.S. Army with the rank of Brigadier General. During his tenure as Chief Signal Officer of the Army, the following military telegraph lines were constructed, operated and maintained during the Spanish American War: Puerto Rico, 800 miles; Cuba, 3,000 miles; the Philippines, 10,200 miles. In connection with Alaska, General Greely had constructed under very adverse conditions a telegraph system of nearly 4,000 miles, consisting of submarine cables, land cables and wireless telegraphy, the later covering a distance of 107 miles, which at the time of installation was the longest commercial system regularly working in the world. Greely was awarded the Medal of Honor for his life of splendid public service. Letter Signed : 8 x 10, signed in ink. War Department Library, Washington City, July 2, 1896 Mr. Chas. H. Bingham, Adjt. Gettysburg Post #191, G.A.R., 113 Devonshire Street, Boston, Mass. Sir: By direction of the Secretary of War, I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of the following publications donated by you to the War Department Library. Roster and By-Laws of Gettysburg Post #191, 1896. Assuring you that your courtesy toward and interest in this library are fully appreciated. I am, very respectfully, A.W. Greely, Brigadier General and Chief Signal Officer, U.S.A. Light age toning and wear. Very fine.
  • Price: $50.00
    Autograph Abolitionist Anna E. Dickinson
    The first woman to ever speak before the U.S. Congress! Card Signature With Sentiment and Date (1842-1932) Born in Philadelphia, she was a gifted orator, lecturer, teacher, impassioned advocate for abolition of slavery, and for women's suffrage. She contributed an emotional anti-slavery essay to William Lloyd Garrison's Liberator in 1856, and addressed the Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society in 1860, but her greatest success came in 1863 when the Republican Party asked her to tour on behalf of its candidates. When she reached New York, an audience of 5,000 greeted her as the Joan of Arc of the abolition cause. Throughout the 1860's she continued to give stirring lectures on the rights of women and African Americans, and she was the first woman to ever speak before the U.S. Congress. Card Signature With Sentiment and Date : 4 1/4 x 2 1/2, in ink, With best wishes, I am truly yours, Anna E. Dickinson, Jan. 20, 1873. Light age toning. Very fine.
  • Price: $35.00
    Autograph Benjamin Perley Poore
    Autograph Quotation Signed (1820-87) Born in Newburyport, Mass., he was a prominent American newspaper correspondent, editor and author, and was considered to be one of the most prolific journalists of his era. He was editor of the Southern Whig, in Athens, Ga., served as the attache of the American legation at Brussels, was foreign correspondent of the Boston Atlas, and editor of the Boston Bee and Sunday Sentinel, and in 1854 he was a Washington correspondent where he earned national recognition. He also served as clerk of the committee of the U.S. Senate on printing records, where he edited the Congressional Directory and the Biographical Directory of the U.S. During the Civil War he organized a battalion of riflemen that formed the nucleus of a company in the 8th Massachusetts Volunteers, in which he served for a time as major. In 1885, he organized the Gridiron Club and served as its first president. Among his writings were Campaign Life of General Zachary Taylor; The Rise and Fall of Louis Philippe, Ex-King of the French; Early Life of Napoleon Bonaparte; The Conspiracy Trial For The Murder of Abraham Lincoln; Federal and State Charters; Life of Burnside; and Perley's Reminiscences of Sixty Years in the National Metropolis. Autograph Quaotation Signed : 4 1/2 x 1, in ink, Never bet on elections- if you do, pay up, or wheel up. Ben Perley Poore. Light scattered staining. Footnote: The quote that Poore wrote and signed is the direct result of a declaration he made concerning the 1856 presidential election. Poore, a supporter of President Millard Fillmore, declared that he would wheel a barrel of apples from his hometown of Newburyport to Boston if Fillmore failed to carry Massachusetts, a promise he fulfilled in a 2 day, 36 mile journey, cheered on by crowds who lined his route. A song was even composed in his honor titled, Wheelbarrow Polka.
  • Price: $50.00
    Autograph Editor & Aboltionist Horace Greeley
    Ran for President of the United States in 1872 (1811-72) One of the first Republican editors, he was a considerable influence during the Civil War era. He founded the New York Tribune in 1841 which became a powerful voice for organized labor and an opponent of the Compromise of 1851, the Kansas Nebraska Act, and slavery. Greeley supported Lincoln and opposed a conciliatory attitude toward the border states. He advocated immediate emancipation of the slaves, and on June 28, 1861, his paper proclaimed, Forward to Richmond. In 1863, Greeley advocated mediation by a foreign power to end the war, and in 1864, he attempted to bring about peace negotiations by urging President Lincoln to make an offer of peace to the South. After the war, he supported the impeachment of President Andrew Johnson, and favored the release of Confederate President Jeff Davis. He went so far as to sign his bond on May 13, 1867, an act that cost the Tribune half of its circulation. Nominated by the liberal Republicans for president in 1872, he was defeated by U. S. Grant. He is famous for the quote, Go west young man. Signature : 4 x 1 1/4, in ink, Horace Greeley. Ink smear, light wear and age toning. Not sure what is written above his signature.
  • Price: $100.00
    Autograph Henry W. Bellows
    President of the U.S. Sanitary Commission War Date Autograph Letter Signed (1814-82) Born in Boston, Mass., he graduated from Harvard College in 1832, and from the Harvard Divinity School in 1837. After holding a pastorate in Mobile, Alabama, 1837-38, he became pastor of the First Congregational (Unitarian) Church, (afterwards All Souls Church) in New York City, in 1839, a position he held until his death. Bellows soon earned a distinguished reputation as a pulpit orator and lecturer, and became a leading figure of the Unitarian Church in America. He edited The Christian Inquirer, a Unitarian weekly newspaper, and The Christian Examiner. When the Civil War broke out, he organized the U.S. Sanitary Commission, the leading soldiers' aid society, becoming their first and only president, serving in that position from 1861-78. Bellows was appointed as the first president of the Civil Service Reform Association; he was an organizer of The Union League Club of New York; and of the Century Association in New York City; and he helped plan with his parishioner and friend, Peter Cooper, the establishment of the Cooper Union. In 1865, he proposed and organized the national conference of Unitarian and other Christian churches, and from 1865 to 1880 was chairman of its council. War Date Autograph Letter Signed : 5 x 8, in ink, on imprinted letter sheet. U.S. Sanitary Commission, New York Agency, 823 Broadway, New York, June 15, 1863 Dear Madame, I have today sent forward a letter to your husband designed for Gen. Banks, which consists merely in an endorsement of your declarations regarding him. Not knowing Mr. Lowner, it was impossible for me to endorse him- but I can endorse you & you can endorse him. Truly yours, H.W. Bellows [to] Mrs. Lowner Mounting remnants on the corners of the reverse. Very fine. Desirable in this war date format on imprinted U.S. Sanitary Commission stationary.
  • Price: $50.00
    Autograph Jonas Mills Bundy
    Newspaper Editor, Civil War Officer, Author and Advisor to Presidents' Grant, Garfield and Arthur (1835-91) Jonas Mills Bundy, was born at Colebrook, N.H., and moved with his parents as a child to Beloit, Wisconsin. He graduated from Beloit College, in 1853, then went to Harvard Law School, was admitted to the bar, but never practiced law, his tastes leading him instead to adopt journalism as his profession. His first experience in newspaper work was on the Milwaukee Daily Wisconsin, and he later joined the staff of the Milwaukee Sentinel. Subsequent to the Civil War he settled in New York City, and entered the office of the Evening Post as their literary critic. During the Civil War he served as a major in the field and staff of the 3rd U.S. Infantry, and on the staff of General John Pope. After the Army of Northern Virginia surrendered at Appomattox, Major Bundy was dispatched by General Pope as one of two peace commissioners sent to meet with Confederate General Edmund Kirby Smith to discuss the possible surrender of his Trans-Mississipi Army. Bundy, and Colonel John T. Sprague, the other commissioner, had been instructed to offer General Smith the same terms for the surrender of his army that Grant had offered Lee at Appomattox. In 1868, Bundy became chief editor of the Evening Mail, which was afterwards bought by Cyrus W. Field, who retained him as its chief editor, which position he held until his death. His vigorous attacks on the Boss Tweed Ring caused his appointment as a member of the committee which exposed the corruption of the New York City government. He was an adviser to Presidents' Grant, Garfield and Arthur, and was the author of, The Life of General James A. Garfield. Sources: Biographical Dictionary of Notable Americans The Last Chapter In The History Of The War by Jonas M. Bundy Autograph Letter Signed : 4 3/4 x 7, in ink. New York, January 8th, 1875 It is a great honor and privilege for any one to follow the example of such men as Mr. Bryant and Mr. Cooper, in giving encouragement and support to the work in which Mrs. Hayes has engaged. The Evening Mail will not be believed any of its contemporaries in giving its space and influence in behalf of the noble clarity for whose benefit the proposed Reception is to be undertaken. J.M. Bundy Approved, Robt. Johnston Light age toning and wear. Very fine.
  • Price: $15.00
    Autograph, Lieutenant Commander R.m.g. Brown, U.s. Navy
    Autograph Letter Signed Brown was a Midshipman at the U.S. Naval Academy during the Civil War, 1864-65, graduating in 1868. His promotions are as follows: Ensign, April 19, 1869; Lieutenant, April 13, 1872; Lieutenant Commander, April 27, 1893; Retired, December 5, 1894. He was the commander of the U.S.S. Vandalia, which was wrecked in a hurricane at Somoa, March 16, 1889. Autograph Letter Signed : 4 3/4 x 6 1/2, in ink. Deer Park, Md., July 30th, 1889 My Dear Sir: I regret that I cannot add to your collection of autographs of distinguished men. Very Truly Yours, R.M.G. Brown Mounting traces on the reverse. Light age toning. Boldly written. There is a period pencil notation on the reverse, R.M.G. Brown, U.S.N., Commanded U.S.S. Vandalia, at Somoa.
  • Price: $100.00
    Autograph Peter H. Bell
    Fought in the War for Texas Independence under General Sam Houston Major in the Texas Rangers Mexican War Veteran Governor of Texas U.S. Congressman from Texas (1812-98) Born in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, he moved to Texas in 1836 to fight for Texas Independence. He distinguished himself in the battle of San Jacinto, and was appointed assistant adjutant general on the staff of General Sam Houston, by the general himself. Bell was promoted to Inspector General for the Army of the Republic of Texas in 1839. He joined the Texas Rangers under the famous Colonel Jack Hays in 1840, and served as major in the 1842 Somervell expedition. During the Mexican War he served as lieutenant colonel under General Zachary Taylor and earned distinction in the battle of Buena Vista. Bell was elected as the third Governor of Texas, serving 1849-53. He then served as a member of the U.S. Congress, 1853-57. On March 3, 1857, he married Ella Reeves Eaton, the daughter of a wealthy North Carolina planter, William Eaton, and moved to her home in Littleton, N.C. At the outbreak of the War Between the States, his old friend Jefferson Davis offered him a commission as colonel in the Confederate army, but Bell declined, and instead spent the war wars on his wife's plantation. In 1891, the Texas legislature voted Bell a pension in appreciation for his services to the republic and the state. Bell County was named in his honor. He is buried in the State Cemetery in Austin, and in 1936 the State of Texas erected a memorial to Bell. Signature With Place : 5 1/4 x 1 1/2, in ink, P.H. Bell, Austin, Texas. Mounted to a 6 3/4 x 3 1/4, piece of acid free mat board. Very desirable Texas patriot.
  • Price: $100.00
    Autograph Charles C. Coffin
    One of the best known newspaper correspondents of the Civil War 1865 Autograph Note Signed (1823-96) Born in Boscawen, New Hampshire. Moving to Boston at the age of 21, the self taught Coffin took a surveying job with the Northern Railroad, and he was instrumental in the construction of an electronically transmitted fire alarm system. He later was employed by the Boston Journal newspaper. By 1860, Coffin had grown interested in politics and he attended the Republican National Convention in Chicago. He was a member of the select group that traveled from Chicago to Springfield to meet and advise Abraham Lincoln who had just won the party's nomination for president. Afterwards he covered the 1860 election campaign, and was in Washington for the inaugural of President Lincoln in March 1861. When war broke out, a severe ankle injury suffered by Coffin in his surveying days, kept him from active military service. However, his keen eye for detail, and writing ability made him a perfect candidate to be a war correspondent. Not employed by any specific newspaper, Coffin set out on his own and started visiting various Union army camps and fortifications, gathering up human interest stories, and sending his correspondence to a variety of Northern newspapers. Coffin was a witness to the 1st battle of Bull Run and his written accounts of the battle and its aftermath so impressed the editors of his old newspaper, the Boston Journal, that they hired him to cover the war at the princely salary of $25 per week! He worked alone, without assistants, and was frequently the first to get reports from the war's battlefields to the media. He was present at, or immediately after, most of the major battles in the eastern theater, and was the only war correspondent to serve throughout the entire war, reporting on it from 1st Bull Run to Appomattox. Always welcome at Union Army camps, Coffin was well known and on friendly terms with many of the highest ranking Union officers, among them General Ulysses S. Grant who issued him a pass that allowed him to travel anywhere within the Union lines or battlefields. Coffin was present when General George G. Meade was appointed commanding general of the Army of the Potomac, he rode with General Winfield S. Hancock on his approach to Gettysburg, he accompanied Colonels' Strong Vincent, and Joshua L. Chamberlain on their way to fulfill their destiny at the strategic hill known as Little Round Top, and when Pickett's charge ended on July 3, 1863, he rode 28 miles through a driving rainstorm to board a train for Baltimore where he was able to telegraph his story to the Boston Journal, and thus the first news reports of the epic 3 day death struggle at Gettysburg was heard by the nation. Appropriately, Coffin was present at Fort Sumter, on April 14 1865, when the original stars and stripes that had been lowered upon Fort Sumter's surrender exactly four years earlier, was raised once again by General Robert Anderson, who had commanded the fort during the Confederate bombardment. Coffin wrote several books about his experiences as a war correspondent including My Days and Nights on the Battlefield, Following the Flag, Four Years of Fighting, Drumbeat of the Nation, Marching to Victory, and Redeeming the Republic. A biographer, W.E. Griffis, referred to him as a soldier of the pen and knight of the truth. Coffin's name is immortalized on the War Correspondent's Arch at Gathland, Maryland. Autograph Note Signed : 5 x 8, in ink. Boston, Sept. 29/65 William A. Baker, Eqr. Dear Sir, I cheerfully comply with your request. Yours truly, C.C. Coffin. Carleton is written at the lower left corner of the letter sheet. This was Coffin's middle name and the one he used to sign off on his stories. Light age toning and wear. Desirable Civil War personality.
  • Price: $150.00
    Millvina Dean, Youngest Survivor Of The Titanic Disaster
    She was also the last survivor! (1912-2009) Born in Branscombe, England, she was a British civil servant and a cartographer. Millvina's claim to fame was that she was the youngest survivor of the sinking of the Titanic, on April 15, 1912, and she lived to be the last remaining survivor! Millvina, her father, Bertram Frank Dean, her mother, Georgette Eva Dean, and her older brother, Bertram Vere Dean, were third class steerage passengers on the maiden voyage of the now infamous ocean liner, R.M.S. Titanic. Boarding at Southampton, England, the Dean's had decided to leave England and emigrate to the United States where Millvina's father was going to become co-owner of a tobacco shop with his cousin in Wichita, Kansas. Ironically, the Dean family were not originally scheduled to travel across the Atlantic Ocean on the Titanic. A coal strike caused them to be transferred to the doomed ocean liner. Millvina, her mother, and brother were placed in Lifeboat 13, and survived the disaster. Her father however, did not survive. If his body was recovered, it was never identified. Signed Photograph : 18 x 12, excellent black and white photograph of R.M.S. Titanic leaving port. Bordered in blue, it has the iconic White Star logo at lower left, and the name TITANIC blazoned in large white letters across the bottom. Boldly hand signed in black ink at the top of the photograph, Millvina Dean. Great photo for framing or display. ***Please note that because the photograph is over sized, we have to show it to you in sections. It's a nice looking item!
  •  per page

Shop by Store Name

Click on a letter to view store names that begin with that letter.
More Shopping
  • News-Antique.com Today's news about the antiques & collectibles trade.
  • The TIAS.com Showcase Antiques & collectibles that were added to TIAS.com today.