J A requested a recipe for "potato candy snowballs". Here are a few replies
that came in.
If you have a variation of this recipe that you would like to share with our
readers, send them to us at email@example.com
Be sure to also check out this weeks recipe request, below.
Hello, I believe this is the recipe for snowball candy that was requested in
2 cups sweetend dessicated coconut
2 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup warm mashed potatoes
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1 tablespoon shortening
1 cup flaked coconut
Combine dessicated coconut, icing sugar, vanilla
and mashed potatoes in a large bowl.
Mix thoroughly until it becomes pastey.
Roll about 1 teaspoon into a ball. If it becomes
too sticky add additional icing sugar.
Place balls on a foil lined cookie sheet and cool
in the refrigerator for about I hour.
Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler and add
shortening mixing until smooth.
Place flaked coconut in a bowl.
Take chilled balls and roll them in the chocolate
coating them completely.
Roll coated balls in the flaked coconut.
Place balls on a foil lined sheet and chill.
I think this may be the recipe this reader is searching for ~
Linda Richards, Tucson, AZ
- 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes
- 1 teaspoon of butter
- 3/4 cup of shredded coconut
- 1 pound of powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of vanilla
- 5 squares of unsweetened chocolate
1. Cook and mash the potatoes, do not season, place 1/4 cup in
2. In the bowl mix in the butter until well blended
3. Gradually add the powdered sugar and the coconut until it is the
consistency of play-dough. If the candy is hard to mix, add
teaspoons of water until blended.
4. Mold the mixture into round balls
5. Meanwhile, melt the chocolate on a double boiler
6. Dip the balls into the chocolate and coat well
7. Roll in additional coconut if desired
8. Place on wax paper, cool and enjoy
This sounds like a recipe my grandmother used to make at
Easter, it goes like this:
3# of powdered sugar
1 c hot mashed potatoes
1 1/2 T of butter
1 c chopped nuts or coconut
1 c of candied fruit
1 t of vanilla
bittersweet chocolate melted
Mix all ingredients except chocolate. Form into shapes of
eggs, let it stand for 2 days.
Melt chocolate and dip the egg shapes into it. Let it cool
Did you know TIAS merchants have over 1000 vintage
cookbooks for sale online? They make great gifts. Take a
Vintage Kitchen items are practical and collectible. We've