Color: Terra Cotta
Country of Origin: United States
Manufacturer: Roseville Pottery
We proudly offer this fine piece of vintage Roseville Pottery in the form of a beautiful, original stickered Roseville #364-6 inch, 1926 to 1930 Dahlrose Line dual handled green over Terra Cotta mat glaze in outstanding condition. Dahlrose pieces were noted for their excellent crisp molds, and this vase is no exception. Furthermore, the bright Terra Cotta to deep green base colors are simply stunning! Over 30 separate forms were produced in this pattern. Research consulted: Collectors Encyclopedia of Roseville Pottery (Vol. 1 & 2 revised editions) / by Sharon & Bob Huxford and Mike Nickel; Roseville in All Its Splendor / by Jack and Nancy Bomm; Bassetts Roseville Prices 3rd Edition, and Introducing Roseville Pottery / both by Mark T. Bassett; 2009 Roseville Pottery By the Numbers, A Price Guide / by John T. Humphries & Erin Hamilton; Roseville Art Pottery 2003 "½ / by James S. Jenkins Jr. and Kenneth R Mitchell.
The Roseville Pottery Company was founded in 1890 at Roseville, Ohio by J.F. (John Frederic) Weaver, and (3) local potter / businessmen. 1891 saw the addition of George F. Young as a company salesman. The Firm was incorporated as the Roseville Pottery Company on January 4 1892, and the officers included President C.F. Allison, VP J.F. Weaver, Treasurer Thomas Brown, the aforementioned George F. Young as Secretary & general Manager, with a J.L. Pugh on the Board of Directors. Roseville initially produced simple utilitarian ware such as flower pots, stoneware, umbrella stands, cuspidors, and limited painted ware. Major expansion was accomplished in the 1890s, including the purchase of the J.B. Owens plant, Midland Pottery, and Clark Stoneware Co. on Linden Ave in Zanesville, Ohio allowing for the relocation of the offices, shipping and some production / development to that facility in 1898. This move was highly significant, as the Linden Ave. plant was the birthplace of the Rozane & Rozane Royal high gloss glazes, developed by Ross C. Purdy, and introduced in 1900. These were Rosevilles first truly high quality signature art pottery lines. In 1901, Roseville acquired the former Mosaic tile Co. and in 1902, completed the basic tri fecta, with the purchase of the Peters & Reed Muskingum Stoneware Plant in Zanesville. in 1904, Frederick Rhead became art director for Roseville pottery, and was responsible for the production of scarce art pottery lines such as Fudji, Crystalis, Della Robbia, and Aztec. In the early teens as demand for the more expensive, hand-crafted art pottery declined Roseville pottery shifted production to more commercially produced pottery. In 1919, Frank Ferrel succeeded Harry Rhead (Fredericks brother) as art director for Roseville pottery. Frank Ferrel and George Krause combined to produce many of todayâ¿¿s most popular patterns including Dahlrose, Rosecraft, Ferella, Sunflower, Blackberry, Cherry Blossom, and Wisteria. Roseville pottery introduced Pine Cone in 1935, which became the most successful and highest volume pattern in Roseville history, including over 150 different shapes in blue, brown, and green. History records that the Pine Cone line alone was responsible for the survival of Roseville through the dark days of the latter 1930s.
World War II required production changes for Roseville pottery, so during this period, Roseville introduced such patterns as Fuchsia, Cosmos, Columbine, White Rose, Bittersweet, and Zephyr Lily. While these patterns were still the best quality art pottery in the market at this time, it was not enough to save the company. In a final effort to reclaim past glory, Roseville reintroduced the blue Pine Cone line in 1953, designated as Pine Cone Modern, but despite its immediate success, was not able to save the company. Roseville Pottery regrettably ceased operations in 1954.
Condition: Excellent no flaws
Measurements (LxWxH): 4 inches x 8 inches x 6 inches