War Between the States

8 1/4 x 14, imprinted form filled out in ink.

Received at Harrisburg, Pa., this 26 day of June 1865, of Capt. J.G. Basdorff, Co. C, 149 P.[ennsylvania] V.[olunteers], the following Ordnance and Ordnance Stores as per invoice dated the 26 day of June, 1865.

The itemized list includes Enfield Rifle Muskets, Bayonet Scabbards, Gun Slings, Cartridge Boxes, Cartridge Box Plates, Cartridge Box Belts, Waist Belts & Plates, N.C.O., Waist Belts Privates, Cap Pouches, Sword- Belt & Plate, N.C.O., Sets Appendages (Enfield), Screw Drivers & Cone Wrenches. Signed, William H. Dunbar, Major, 83rd Regt. P.V.V., Late Capt. 48 N.Y. Vols. & Act. Chief Ordnance Officers, Dept. of Penna.

Imprint on the reverse of the document with Circular No. 52, signed in print by Geo. D. Ramsay, Brig. General, Chief of Ordnance, and Suggestions To Officers Issuing Ordnance Property.

Light wear. Very fine.

William H. Dunbar, who signed this document, was 24 years old, when he enlisted at Brooklyn, N.Y., on August 26, 1861, as a 1st lieutenant, and was commissioned into Co. G, 48th New York Infantry. He was promoted to captain, of Co. A, on July 11, 1863. He was wounded in action, but the exact place and date are unknown. He was discharged from the 48th N.Y., on May 31, 1865, to accept promotion to major of the 83rd Pennsylvania Infantry. He finished out the war as Acting Chief Ordnance Officer of the Dept. of Pennsylvania.

The 149th Pennsylvania Infantry, known as the 2nd Bucktails, fought at Chancellosville, Gettysburg, in the Bristoe, Mine Run and Rapidan campaigns, in the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor and Petersburg. They ended the war guarding Confederate prisoners at Elmira, N.Y. Very desirable regiment.

The 149th Pennsylvania Infantry at Gettysburg:

The regiment arrived on the Gettysburg battlefield at 11 o'clock a. m. on the first day of the battle, July 1, 1863, and at once went into position on the ridge in front of the Lutheran Seminary, near the Chambersburg Pike. It maintained its position with great heroism throughout the first day until the whole line retreated through the town. Its heaviest losses were sustained in the fierce fighting of this day, though it was fearfully exposed during the great artillery duel of the third day. It lost 53 killed, 172 wounded and 111 captured or missing, a total of 336. Among the severely wounded were Colonel Roy Stone, commanding the brigade, and Lieutenant Colonel Walton Dwight, commanding the regiment.

William H. Dunbar's 48th New York Infantry Regiment:

Known as the "Continental Guard," contained seven Brooklyn companies, one from New York, one from Monmouth County, N. J., and one from Brooklyn and Monmouth Counties. It was mustered into the U.S. Service at Brooklyn, Aug. 16, to Sept. 14, 1861, for three years; left the state for Washington Sept. 16; was attached to the 1st brigade of Gen. Sherman's force; embarked for Port Royal late in October, and was active in the capture of the fortifications of Port Royal Ferry, Jan. 1, 1862.

In the siege operations against Fort Pulaski, Ga., the 48th took a prominent part and after the fall of the fortress was assigned to garrison duty there with expeditions in September and October
to Bluffton, Cranston's Bluff and Mackay's Point. In June, 1863, the regiment with the exception of Co’s. G and I, left Fort Pulaski and proceeded to Hilton Head, where it was there attached to Strong's brigade, 10th corps, with which it participated in the movement against Fort Wagner in July.

In the assault of July 18, the loss of the 48th was 242 killed, wounded and missing, including Col. Barton wounded and Lieut. Col. Green killed. The regiment received high praise from the commanding officers for its gallantry in this action. In August it formed a part of the Florida expedition; was posted for some time at St. Augustine; participated in the disastrous battle at
Olustee, with a loss of 44 in killed, wounded and missing; then retired to Jacksonville; proceeded up the river to Palatka on March 10, 1864, remained there until April when it was transferred to the Army of the James at Bermuda Hundred, and was assigned to the 2nd brigade, 2nd division, 10th corps.

In the engagement at Port Walthall Junction the regiment again showed its mettle by heroic conduct in spite of severe loss. On May 30 it was assigned to the 1st brigade, 3d division, 18th corps, and on June 15, to the 2nd brigade, 2nd division, 10th corps. It took a prominent part in the battle of Cold Harbor; was in the first assault on Petersburg and in action at the explosion of the mine; and was engaged at Strawberry Plains and Fort Harrison.

The original members not reenlisted were mustered out at New York City on Sept. 24, 1864, but 350 members having reenlisted in Dec., 1863, the regiment retained its organization. In Dec., 1864, with the 2nd brigade, 2nd division, 24th corps, the 48th was ordered to Fort Fisher, N. C., was active in the capture of the fortifications there in Jan., 1865, and served for some months in that vicinity.

In March it was attached to the provisional corps, in April to the 10th corps and during the summer months performed various routine duties in the neighborhood of Raleigh, N. C., where it was finally mustered out on Sept. 1, 1865. During its term of service 2,173 members were enrolled, and of these 236 or over 10 per cent, were killed or mortally wounded in action, a loss
exceeded among the regiments of the state only by the 69th and 40th.

It was 17th in the list of all of the regiments of the Union armies in total loss. In the battles of the regiment 868 men were reported killed, wounded or missing, and it earned by desperate fighting its right to be known as a crack fighting regiment.

Source: The Union Army, Vol. 2

Shop by Store Name

Click on a letter to view store names that begin with that letter.
More Shopping
  • News-Antique.com Today's news about the antiques & collectibles trade.
  • The TIAS.com Showcase Antiques & collectibles that were added to TIAS.com today.