View Orders Back to AntiqueArts Home Page Come and view all that's new! Come and view all that's new! More than 135 upscale Antiques shops Would you like to sell your antiques here? Have a question or suggestion? A comprehensive guide to antiques resources on the World Wide Web
Antique Arts Showcase
What's New in the Collector's Showcase?
The Most Recent Additions to This Category are First!

 Architectural Antiques
 China & Dinnerware
 Coins & Currency
 Cultures & Ethnicities
 Furniture & Accessories
 Lamps & Lighting
 Music Related
 Paper & Ephemera
 Porcelain & Pottery

<b>Mortally wounded in the attack on Fort Wagner, Charleston, South Carolina in 1863</b>

(1832-63) Born in Stockbridge, Vermont, he graduated #5 in the West Point class of 1857. He was commissioned 1st lieutenant, January 25, 1861. Strong served on the staffs of Generals' Irvin McDowell, George B. McClellan and Benjamin F. Butler respectively. He was promoted to major, on October 1, 1861,  and he aided in organizing the expedition which occupied New Orleans and became General Butler's chief of staff. He was promoted to brigadier general, on November 29, 1862, and in the operations against Charleston, South Carolina, he commanded a brigade which was the first to land on Morris Island. On July 18, 1863, during the assault on Fort Wagner, General Strong was mortally wounded while leading the storming column, which included the 54th Massachusetts Colored Infantry. He was promoted to major general to rank from July 18, 1863, and died 12 days later. He is buried in Greenwood Cemetery, Brooklyn, New York.

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Early war, standing view wearing a double breasted frock coat with rank of major. He is sporting his thick mustache, and proudly poses for the camera with a regal bearing. Back mark, E. & H.T. Anthony, 501 Broadway, New York, From Photographic Negative in Brady's National Portrait Gallery. Has a 2 cents orange, George Washington, U.S. Internal Revenue Proprietary tax stamp on the verso. Very fine, early war image taken circa 1861. Very desirable, and scarce general to find much material on.     A medical / surgical relic from a time when chloroform was administered by hand utilizing a specially designed <I>dripper</I> bottle and a cloth over the nose and mouth.  This little dripper stands approximately 5 inches including the stopper.   Remaining in pleasing condition with no chips or cracks, this seldom seen dripper will make a nice addition to any quality medical / surgical grouping. (A search of our personal collection museum site ( Will produce an account of how Gettysburg Artillerist, Col. Freeman McGilvery was killed by an overdose of chloroform during simple surgery for a wound of the thumb.)   <B>Buy with confidence! </B><I>  We are pleased to offer a <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased on direct sales!</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item will be returned per these provisions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I>  <FONT COLOR=#0000FF>Thanks for visiting Gunsight Antiques! </FONT COLOR=#0000FF>

 An especially nice Grand Army of the Republic membership medal with a Massachusetts Device remains in especially nice throughout retaining its original fine condition ribbon and early <I>T-back</I> post officers suspension bar. This especially attractive Civil War veteran medal is offered here direct from years of storage and is untouched with, sharp edges, a rich natural age patina and original  suspension ribbon.  Per G. A. R. requirements, these handsome medals were cast from the bronze of Confederate cannon.  ( This medal will come with a nice color facsimile of an original issue envelope face attesting to use of captured Confederate cannon metal.)   An attractive memento from a time when the G.A.R.  was the most influential group in the country. <B>Buy with confidence! </B><I>  We are pleased to offer a <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased on direct sales!</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item will be returned per these provisions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I>  Thanks for visiting Gunsight Antiques!

 This tear bottle measures approximately 5 1/8 inches in length and is in fine condition with its original gold fired decoration and retaining its period seal .   A desirable  item for the Victorian era mourning collector, the tear bottle was an especially popular personal memento among the ladies of the Civil War South.  An example may be found in the Museum of the Confederacy collection in Richmond, Virginia.  This example remains in especially nice condition and will make a most attractive companion piece with any quality Civil War ladies grouping.

<B>Buy with confidence! </B><I>  We are pleased to offer a <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased on direct sales!</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item will be returned per these provisions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I>  <FONT COLOR=#0000FF>Thanks for visiting Gunsight Antiques! </FONT COLOR=#0000FF>

CDV, General George C. Strong $250.00


19th century amber Chloroform Dripper $85.00


Massachusetts Civil War Vet’s - G. A. R $165.00


Civil War era TEAR BOTTLE $95.00

Best described here by our illustrations, such wood mounted <I>Magic Lantern</I> slides saw considerable use through the mid 1860’s though the type actually predate the wet plate generated photo slides popular in the Civil War era.  This one offers a colorfully hand colored and artist rendered Revolutionary War view of a of a young maiden chatting with British soldiers.

<B>Buy with confidence! </B><I>  We are pleased to offer a <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased on direct sales!</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item will be returned per these provisions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I>  <FONT COLOR=#0000FF>Thanks for visiting Gunsight Antiques! </FONT COLOR=#0000FF>

 Of interest to the Confederate Cavalry enthusiast, this crudely made <I>make do</I>stirrup bears an obviously period ink notation <I><B> Picked up at Holcombe’s Legion camp Peter</I></B> and comes with an iron bit of hand forged black iron.  (While the bit could be considered as incidental to the stirrups as they were not acquired together, the crudity of bit is so complementary we are bound to offer the two as a pair.)  While not easy to read and more difficult to photograph, the period ink script is discernable under close inspection and is bolstered by a later paper tag noting the original text with the notation <I>’ Diascund Bridge’</I>   Our research found that , Holcombe's Cavalry was camped above Cole's Ferry at <U>Camp Peter</U> near <U>Diascund Bridge</U> in January and February of 1863.  A really eye appealing pair that will fit well in any quality Confederate Cavalry grouping.  <B>Buy with confidence! </B><I>  We are pleased to offer a <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased on direct sales!</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item will be returned per these provisions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I>  <FONT COLOR=#0000FF>Thanks for visiting Gunsight Antiques! </FONT COLOR=#0000FF>


<b>He fired the first shot in defense of Fort Sumter in the opening battle of the Civil War in April 1861

Wounded at Antietam and Gettysburg, and cited for gallantry at both crucial battles</b>

(1819-1893) Born in Ballston Spa, New York, he became famous for his supposed invention of the game of baseball, although baseball historians have debunked that theory, something Doubleday himself never claimed. At Cooperstown, N.Y., home of the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, the baseball diamond there is named in his honor. From a prominent New York family, his paternal grandfather fought in the American Revolution, and his maternal grandfather was a mounted courier for General George Washington during the war. His father, Ulysses F., fought in the War of 1812, and was a two term U.S. Congressman, and both of his brothers were colonels in the Union army during the Civil War. He graduated in the West Point class of 1842, and served in the Mexican War with the artillery branch of service, and later fought in the Seminole Wars from 1856-58.  In April 1861, Doubleday served in the garrison at Fort Sumter, and he was said to have aimed the first gun to reply to the Confederate bombardment. Appointed a brigadier general, on February 3, 1862, he commanded the Artillery Department in the Shenandoah Valley, and then the artillery of General Nathaniel P. Banks's division. He was assigned to duty in northern Virginia while the Army of the Potomac conducted their 1862 Virginia Peninsula Campaign, and he commanded a brigade of General Irvin McDowell's corps during the 2nd Battle of Bull Run.  Doubleday again led the division, now assigned to the 1st Corps, Army of the Potomac, and at the Battle of Antietam, he led his men into the deadly fighting in the Cornfield and the West Woods, and one colonel described him as a "gallant officer, remarkably cool under fire, and at the very front of battle." He was wounded when an artillery shell exploded near his horse, throwing him to the ground in a violent crash. He was promoted to major general of volunteers for his actions at Antietam, to rank from November 29, 1862. During the winter, the 1st Corps was reorganized and General Doubleday was appointed commander of the 3rd Division. His greatest performance of the war came at Gettysburg when he took over command of the 1st corps after the death of General John F. Reynolds, early on the first day's battle, July 1, 1863.  His troops were under heavy fire for five hours as he led 9,500 men against ten Confederate brigades that numbered more than 16,000 Rebels. Seven of those brigades sustained casualties that ranged from 35 to 50 percent, indicating the ferocity of the Union defense. General Doubleday was wounded in the neck on the second day of fighting at Gettysburg. He next took on administrative duties in the defenses of Washington, D.C., where he was in charge of courts martial, which gave him legal experience that he used after the war. He returned to combat directing a portion of the defenses against the attack by Confederate General Jubal A. Early in the Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1864. While in Washington, Abner Doubleday testified against his old adversary, General George G. Meade, at the United States Congress Joint Committee on the Conduct of the War, criticizing Meade harshly over his conduct at the Battle of Gettysburg. Doubleday remained a loyal Republican and staunch supporter of President Abraham Lincoln, and the general and his wife rode with Lincoln on the train to Gettysburg for the dedication of the Gettysburg National Cemetery, and were there for President Lincoln's immortal Gettysburg Address. Afterwards, the Doubleday's attended social events with Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln in Washington. After the war ended, Doubleday mustered out of the volunteer service, and remained in the Regular U.S. Army reverting back to his old army rank. He was later appointed colonel of the 35th U.S. Infantry, and stationed in San Francisco from 1869-71, where he took out a patent for the cable car railway that still runs there today. He received a charter for its operation, but unfortunately signed his rights away when he was reassigned. In 1871, he commanded the 24th U.S. Infantry, an all African-American regiment with headquarters at Fort McKavett, Texas. He retired from the United States Army in 1873. General Abner Doubleday died of heart disease in Mendham Township, New Jersey, on January 26, 1893. His body laid in state in New York's City Hall, and then was taken to Washington by train, and he was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. 

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Bust view pose in uniform with rank of major general. Back mark: C.D. Fredricks & Co., 587 Broadway, New York. The imprint also includes their Habana and Paris addresses. Has a 2 cents orange, George Washington, U.S. Internal Revenue Bank Check tax stamp on the verso. Excellent condition. Very sharp image. Scarce variant bust pose. Extremely desirable. 


<b>Colonel 8th New York Infantry

Died in 1863 from injuries received at Warrenton, Virginia</b>

(1812-63) Born in Germany, he fought with the "Bavarian Legion." In 1848, he participated in the revolution against the monarchy and had to seek asylum in Switzerland, but was expelled the following year and came to the United States, settling in Rockland County, New York. His reputation as a revolutionary patriot enabled him to recruit a regiment which was mustered into the Federal service in 1861, as the 8th New York Infantry, with Blenker serving as their colonel. He was appointed brigadier general on August 9, 1861, and at the battle of 1st Bull Run, he had command of a brigade, which was part of Colonel Dixon Miles's division, and performed capably in covering the Union rear on their confused retreat toward Washington. General Blenker later commanded a division in the 1862 Shenandoah Valley campaign against Confederate General "Stonewall" Jackson. He was mustered out of the U.S. Army on March 31, 1863, for health reasons, and died on October 31, 1863, of injuries sustained while with his command at Warrenton, Virginia, leaving behind his wife, son and three daughters in dire circumstances.

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 3 7/8 card. Excellent quality, full standing view of Blenker wearing a double breasted frock coat, with a monocle hanging from his breast, with rank of colonel. He is also wearing his kepi with hat wreath insignia with the regimental numeral "8," sash, high top leather boots, and holding his sword inside of the scabbard at his side. He poses next to a studio chair and a column. Back mark: E. Anthony, 501 Broadway, New York, From Photographic Negative in Brady's National Portrait Gallery. Card mount is very slightly trimmed. Very sharp image. Desirable pose.

Lady with ‘Red-Coats’ - painted LANTER $45.00


7th South Carolina Cavalry ‘Holcombe’s L


CDV, General Abner Doubleday $395.00


CDV, General Louis Blenker $150.00

<b>Colonel of the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry

Mortally wounded at the battle of Fredericksburg, Virginia in December 1862</b>

(1835-62) Born in Seneca Falls, New York, he graduated #11 in the West Point class of 1856, and was appointed 2nd lieutenant in the 1st U.S. Cavalry. His pre Civil War army days were spent on frontier duty in Kansas and Colorado fighting Indians. He was struck in the face by the arrow of a Kiowa, while fighting with them on July 11, 1860, resulting in a period of severe pain for Lieutenant Bayard. Commissioned colonel of the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry in 1861, he served in the defenses around Washington, and on the Rappahannock line. On November 26, 1861, he was ordered to ride into the crossroads hamlet of Dranesville, in Fairfax County, Virginia, to investigate reports of Confederate activity.  Bayard's troopers came under fire from a wooded area with Bayard's horse being killed out from under him, and he was wounded in the shoulder and thigh. He was subsequently commissioned Chief of Cavalry of the 3rd Corps, and brigadier general of U.S. Volunteers on April 28, 1862. Bayard fought under General John C. Fremont at the Battle of Cross Keys, Va., and in August, at the Battle of Cedar Mountain, he led a Union Army advance. After the battle, General Bayard and Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart met under a flag of truce to arrange the recovery of the dead from the battlefield. Bayard and Stuart were old friends from West Point, and their days serving together in the 1st U.S. Cavalry. Bayard was promoted to Chief of Cavalry of the Left Grand Division, Army of the Potomac. At the battle of Fredericksburg, Va., on December 13, 1862, Bayard was awaiting orders at the headquarters of General William B. Franklin when a Confederate battery opened fire on the headquarters. General Bayard declined the warning to take shelter, and an artillery round bounced through the front yard and struck Bayard in the upper leg, doing irreparable damage to his artery. He was taken inside the Bernard house, where he lingered until the next day, dying on the afternoon of December 14, 1862, just four days short of his 27th birthday. Engaged to be married to the daughter of the superintendent of the United States Military Academy, Bayard and his fiancee, Miss Mary Eleanor Bowman, had planned to be married on his birthday. He was buried in Princeton Cemetery in Princeton, New Jersey. On his gravestone is carved, "Sans peur et sans reproche." Translated this means "Without fear or reproach." 

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Superb quality seated view wearing a double breasted frock coat with rank of colonel. He holds his kepi on his lap, while resting one arm on a studio table at his side. Back mark: Charles D. Fredricks & Co., "Specialite," 587 Broadway, New York. Very sharp image. Extremely desirable Union cavalry general killed at Fredericksburg. Scarce.       

<b>Orders From General Winfield Scott Signed By McDowell With Rank

General McDowell commanded the Union army at the 1st battle of Bull Run, Virginia in July 1861</b>

(1818-1885) He was born in Columbus, Ohio, and graduated in the West Point class of 1838 where one of his classmates was future Confederate General P.G.T. Beauregard, his future adversary at the Battle of First Bull Run, Va. After graduation he was commissioned a second lieutenant, and assigned to the 1st U.S. Artillery.  From 1841 to 1845 he taught tactics at the United States Military Academy, and many of the students he taught went on to become Confederate generals who haunted him on the battlefields of the Civil War. He was awarded the rank of brevet captain for gallantry at the battle of Buena Vista during the Mexican War. Between 1848 and 1861, McDowell served as a staff officer to high ranking military leaders, and developed experience in logistics and supply. He developed a close friendship with General Winfield Scott, Commander-in-Chief of the U.S. Army, while serving on his staff. He also served under future Confederate general Joseph E. Johnston. He was promoted to brigadier general in the Regular Army on May 14, 1861, and was given command of the Army of Northeastern Virginia. By July, political pressure demanded an advance by his half trained mainly volunteer army on the Rebels under the command of General P.G.T. Beauregard, at Manassas Junction, Va., where the railroad from Richmond to Alexandria, Va., met the line from the Shenandoah Valley. The resulting Union disaster at the 1st battle of Bull Run stemmed as much from misfortune as ineptitude although on paper General McDowell had a good and ambitious plan, but wasn't able to inspire his officers or troops. He later commanded a corps of the Army of the Potomac which was detached to protect Washington, and in the 2nd battle of Bull Run he commanded the 3rd Corps. On July 1, 1864, he was assigned to command the Department of the Pacific, and in 1865 he was appointed commander of the Department of California. He then was appointed to be the commander of the Department of the East, from 1868-72, and he was promoted to major general, U.S. Army, on November 25, 1872. McDowell succeeded General George G. Meade as commander of the Military Division of the South, on December 16, 1872, and remained in command until June 30, 1876. On July 1, 1876, he served as commander of the Division of the Pacific, and in 1882, Congress imposed a mandatory retirement age of 64 for military officers, and McDowell retired on October 14th of that year. After his retirement from the army, General McDowell exercised his fondness for landscape gardening, serving as Park Commissioner of San Francisco, California, until his death from a heart attack, on May 4, 1885. In this capacity he constructed a park in the neglected reservation of the Presidio, laying out drives that commanded views of the Golden Gate. He is buried in San Francisco National Cemetery in the Presidio of San Francisco, Ca.

<u>Document Signed With Rank</u>: 5 x 7 1/4, manuscript orders, very neatly written,  signed boldly by McDowell in ink, with rank.

Head Quarters of the Army

New York, April 26, 1856

General Orders

No. 3

General Order No. 21, dated Head Quarters of the Army, Adjutant General's Office, April 3, 1851, is hereby rescinded. 

By Command of Bvt. Lieut. Genl. Scott

Irvin McDowell,

Asst. Adjt. Genl.

There are 2 tiny punch holes at the left edge from when this order was filed in a General Orders book. They do not affect the content in any way. Light age toning and edge wear. Very bold autograph of Irvin McDowell as Assistant Adjutant General of the United States Army. This order was issued by Lieutenant General Winfield Scott, future commander-in-chief of all United States Armies at the outbreak of the Civil War, and hero of the War of 1812, and the Mexican War. McDowell of course would soon become a prominent Union major general during the Civil War leading the Union army at the 1st Battle of Bull Run, Virginia in 1861. There is a small imprinted descriptive text affixed to the very top edge of the document which is well away from any of the content. Very fine, and desirable Union autograph. Uncommon in manuscript format.  

On the night of April 14, 1865, President Abraham Lincoln was mortally wounded at Ford's Theater, on 10th Street, Washington, D.C., by the famous actor John Wilkes Booth. President Lincoln was carried across the street  to a back bedroom inside the Petersen boarding house where he died at 7:22 A.M. on April 15th.

Included in this display is a fragment of a gauze bandage that was used in the care of President Lincoln. The bandage fragment originated from the Herman Rudd Collection in Buffalo, New York, and was previously in the collection of the Holland Purchase Historical Society where they presently have another piece matching this example. This fragment measures approximately 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. 

Also included in the display are some small pieces of hair that originated from a lock of Lincoln's hair sold at Christie's in 2002 from the famous Forbes Collection. 

This handsome display measures 11 x 14 and is double matted in scarlet suede and gold Florentine trim. The relics are housed in small magnifying cases, and the display is nicely highlighted with a copy photograph of a seated President Lincoln at the upper left, and a copy portrait engraving of the famous Lincoln death bed scene at the upper right.

Comes with a certificate of authenticity. Please note that the display has nice full borders. The image on the website is cropped because the display is larger than our scanner bed. Very desirable President Lincoln collectible. Very rare.  

<b>1862 Mathew Brady Image</b>

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 1/2 x 4 card. View of Taylor's Tavern with a Union officer with saber standing in the foreground. A Union soldier standing at attention is visible at the center of the view. Imprint on the front mount: Entered According to Act of Congress, in the year 1862, by M.B. Brady, to the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the District of Columbia.  Back mark: Brady's Album Gallery, No. 296. Taylor's Tavern. Entered According to Act of Congress, in the year 1862, by M.B. Brady, to the Clerk's Office of the District Court of the District of Columbia. Minor age toning and light wear. Very fine. Desirable 1862 war date photograph of this historic area of Virginia. 

<u>WBTS Trivia</u>: The city of Falls Church is named for the 1734 Church of England. After exploration by Captain John Smith, England began sending colonists to what they called Virginia. During the American Revolution the area is most known for The Falls Church vestrymen George Washington and George Mason. A copy of the United States Declaration of Independence was read to citizens from the steps of The Falls Church during the summer of 1776. During the Civil War, Falls Church voted 44–26 in favor of secession from the Union. The Confederate Army occupied the then village of Falls Church as well as Munson's and Upton's Hills to the east, due to their views of Washington, D.C. In July 1861, Union forces under the command of General Irvin McDowell marched passed Taylor's Tavern, on their way to fight in the 1st battle of Bull Run. On September 28, 1861, Confederate troops withdrew from Falls Church and the nearby hills, retreating to the heights at Centreville. Union troops took Munson's and Upton's hills, yet the village was never entirely brought under Union rule. Mosby's Raiders made several armed incursions into the heart of Falls Church to kidnap and murder suspected Northern sympathizers in 1864 and 1865.

CDV, General George D. Bayard $250.00


Autograph, General Irvin McDowell $175.00


President Abraham Lincoln Hair & Death B $595.00


CDV, Taylor's Tavern, Near Falls Church, $150.00

<b>Confederate Secretary of War, Leroy Pope Walker</b>

Criswell #21. Vignette of Leroy Pope Walker at top center and a dog and chest at the bottom. Authorized by the Act of Congress, C.S.A., August 18, 1861. Signed by Robert Tyler, Register of the Treasury. Issued at Richmond, Va., April 26, 1862. Serial No. 574. Lithographed by B. Duncan, Richmond, Va. All fifteen coupons still attached. Overall size is 14 x 13. Coupons issued by G.E. Dabrey. Only 2,059 of this bond were issued. Very fine. Scarce. [Source: Confederate and Southern States Bonds, Second Edition, By Grover C. Criswell. page 21].  

<u>WBTS Trivia</u>: (1816-77) Robert Tyler, who signed this bond, was the eldest son of President John Tyler, the tenth President of the United States. During the War Between The States he served as the Confederate Register of the Treasury.    

<b>The first and only President of the Confederate States of America</b>

(1808-1889) Born in Fairview, Kentucky, he spent most of his childhood in Wilkinson County, Mississippi. He graduated in the West Point class of 1828 where two of his classmates were Albert Sidney Johnston, and Leonidas Polk, both future Confederate Generals who would be killed in the War Between the States. On sick leave at the start of the Black Hawk War, he returned to active duty in time to serve at the Battle of Bad Axe, which ended the war. When Chief "Black Hawk" was captured, Davis escorted him for detention at St. Louis. "Black Hawk" stated that Davis treated him with much kindness. He married Sarah Knox Taylor, the daughter of General and future U.S. President Zachary Taylor in 1835, but she died only 3 months after their marriage. Davis was elected to the U.S. Congress in 1845, but he resigned in 1846 to fight in the Mexican War, serving under General Zachary Taylor, his former father-in-law, and he was severely wounded at the battle of Buena Vista. He declined the appointment of brigadier general in the U.S. Army to re-enter politics, and in 1853, he was appointed Secretary of War, by President Franklin Pierce, serving in that cabinet position from 1853-57. He served as a United States Senator, from 1847-51, and again from 1857-61. After Mississippi seceded from the Union, Jeff Davis followed his state and joined the Confederacy. Calling it "the saddest day of my life," he delivered a passionate farewell address to his fellow senators as he resigned his Senate seat. He sent a telegram to Mississippi Governor John J. Pettus informing him that he was available to serve the state in any capacity necessary, and on January 27, 1861, Pettus appointed him major general of the Mississippi state army. Davis was chosen as the provisional president of the Confederacy and was inaugurated on February 18, 1861, at Montgomery, Alabama, and he was later inaugurated as president of the permanent Confederate government at Richmond, Va., on February 22, 1862. Jefferson Davis led the Confederacy throughout the War Between the States, 1861-65, being the only president in Confederate history. As the Confederate capitol fell on April 2, 1865, Davis and his cabinet escaped by rail to Danville, Va. Continuing to move further south, he was eventually captured on May 10, 1865, at Irwinsville, Ga., and held in prison at Fort Monroe, Virginia. He was placed under the watchful eye of General Nelson A. Miles, and was confined to a casemate, was forced to wear a ball and chain on his ankles, required to have guards constantly in his room, was forbidden any contact with his family, and was given only a Bible and his prayer book to read. Despite the loud cries from many Northerners to hang the traitor Jeff Davis, he managed to escape that fate, and eventually his treatment improved significantly. After two years of imprisonment, Davis was released at Richmond on May 13, 1867, on bail of $100,000 (almost 2 million dollars in today's money), which was posted by prominent citizens including Horace Greeley, Cornelius Vanderbilt and Gerrit Smith. Davis and his wife Varina went to Montreal, Canada, to join their children who had been sent there while he was in prison, and they moved to Lennoxville, in Quebec province. Davis remained under indictment until after President Andrew Johnson's proclamation on Christmas 1868 granting amnesty and pardon to all participants in the rebellion, and the case of Jefferson Davis never went to trial. In February 1869, Attorney General William Evarts informed the court that the federal government declared it was no longer prosecuting the charges against him. In January 1877, the author Sarah Dorsey invited Davis to live on her estate at Beauvoir, Mississippi, and to begin writing his memoirs. After her death in July 1879, she left Beauvoir to Davis in her will, and he lived there for most of his remaining years. His  book, "The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government," was published in 1881. While taking a trip to New Orleans, Davis became ill and was diagnosed with acute bronchitis complicated by malaria. Davis's doctor Stanford E. Chaille pronounced him too ill to travel, so he was taken to the home of Charles Erasmus Fenner, the son-in-law of his friend J. M. Payne, where he died at 12:45 a.m. on Friday, December 6, 1889, in the presence of several friends and holding Varina's hand. The body of Jefferson Davis lay in state at the New Orleans City Hall from December 7-11th. His funeral was one of the largest ever held in the South with over 200,000 mourners estimated to have attended. His coffin was transported on a two-mile journey to the cemetery in a four-wheeled caisson to emphasize his role as a military hero, and he was buried according to the Episcopal rites with a eulogy pronounced by Bishop John Nicholas Galleher. After the funeral, various Southern states all requested to be the final resting site for the remains of the ex-Confederate president. Varina Davis decided that her husband should be buried in Richmond, which she saw as the appropriate resting place for dead Confederate heroes, and she chose Hollywood Cemetery as his final resting place. In May 1893, the remains of Jefferson Davis traveled from New Orleans to Richmond, and along the way, the train stopped at various cities, receiving military honors and visits from governors, and the coffin was allowed to lie in state in three state capitols: Montgomery, Alabama; Atlanta, Georgia; and Raleigh, North Carolina. When Davis was reburied, his children were reinterred on the site as Varina requested, and, when she died in 1906, Varina was buried beside him.

Wet plate, albumen photograph, mounted to a 4 1/4 x 6 1/2 card mount. Handsome portrait of the elegant looking Jeff Davis taken later in life, wearing a dark suit, vest and bow tie. His name, "Jefferson Davis" is imprinted in large letters on the front of the card mount. No back mark. The bottom part of the albumen print shows a little darker color in the background area which was most likely done when this excellent photograph was originally produced. This does not effect the subject. Great likeness of Jefferson Davis in this larger size format. An extremely desirable image of the only president of the Confederate States of America.    

<b>Recovered during the fall of Richmond, Virginia, April 3, 1865</b>

The period note that was attached to this souvenir fabric remnant attests that it was removed from the Presidential chair of Jefferson Davis in the Confederate House of Representatives, on April 3rd, 1865, as Union troops and support forces entered the city. The note is written by George D. Murray and states, "A piece of the covering of the Pres. Chair in the House of Representatives taken at the time of occupation of Richmond by the Union troops, April 3rd, 1865, by George D. Murray." Federal records show a George D. Murray, Co. F, 5th Connecticut Volunteers. As the 5th did not pass through the city until later in the month, either Murray was detached from his unit and entered the city with another unit, or was one of the many civilian participants who entered the city with the advancing troops such as Sutlers, Sanitary Commission workers, and Doctors. Since the fabric originated from a Connecticut estate sale which contained other war souvenirs, we feel it is most likely that this George D. Murray was from the 5th Connecticut Infantry.

Comes displayed in a handsome 12 x 15, gold wood frame, double matted in Confederate gray with florentine gold trim. The fabric is housed in a magnified box, and the display is nicely accented with copy photographs of President Jefferson Davis, and the Confederate Capitol building in Richmond, Virginia. The printed story as described above is also incorporated in this wonderful display with a relic from the last days of the Confederacy. Comes with a letter of authenticity that shows a copy of the original note of provenance. Very desirable display from the Confederate Capitol at the time of its surrender.  

<b>Colonel of the 12th Virginia Infantry

Wounded 3 times during the Civil War; at the Battles of 2nd Manassas, the Wilderness, and at the Crater, Petersburg, Virginia

Document Signed</b>

(1818-99) Born in Chesterfield County, Va., he served as a lieutenant of the 1st Virginia Volunteers during the Mexican War. As a captain of Virginia Militia he was officer of the day at the hanging of John Brown in 1859. Two years later, as a major of the 4th Virginia Battalion, Weisiger took his battalion to the Gosport Navy Yard at Norfolk, Virginia and occupied the city. Entering the Confederate Army as colonel of the 12th Virginia Infantry, on May 9, 1861, he served on the lower Peninsula until the spring of 1862, when his regiment was attached to the Army of Northern Virginia in the brigade of General William Mahone. With his command he fought at Seven Pines, the Seven Days Battles, and at 2nd Manassas where he was severely wounded and disabled until July 1863. At the the battle of the Wilderness, on May 6, 1864, he succeeded General Mahone in command of the brigade, where he was wounded, and was commissioned brigadier general. He also saw action at Spotsylvania and Cold Harbor. At the battle of the Crater, at Petersburg, on July 30, 1864, Weisiger greatly distinguished himself as he and General William Mahone led the Confederate counterattack. Both generals were largely responsible for the complete victory that followed, Weisiger being wounded in the battle. He surrendered at Appomattox Court House on April 9, 1865. Weisiger was wounded three times during the war, and had two horses shot out from under him. After the war, Weisiger returned to Petersburg, Virginia where he was a banker. He moved his business to Richmond, Virginia, where he died on February 23, 1899. He is buried at Blandford Cemetery, Petersburg, Virginia.

<u>Document Signed</u>: 8 x 3 3/4, imprinted form, filled out in ink, with an orange overprint at the center. Has vignettes of a railroad train at left and a woman at the upper right. Has a 3 cents green George Washington Internal Revenue For Exchange stamp at upper edge. Certificate of Deposit. Chartered by the State of Virginia. Petersburg, Va., Apl. 13, 1871. Miss F.S. Hardy has deposited in the Citizen's Savings Bank, Two hundred Dollars in Currency payable on demand in like funds to the otder of herself on the return of this Certificate properly endorsed with interest at the rate of Six per cent per annum. Signed at the lower center by the bank president, and at the right, D.A. Weisiger as Cashier. Complete with endorsements on the verso. Nice large signature of Weisiger. Very slight paper loss at upper right edge, not affecting any of the content. Very nice, ornate  Petersburg, Virginia bank deposit receipt. Very desirable Confederate general's autograph.

1861 Confederate $50 Bond $150.00


Photograph, Confederate President Jeffer $250.00


Framed Display, Fabric Taken From the Ch $350.00


Autograph, General David A. Weisiger $150.00

<b>Killed at the Battle of Yellow Tavern, Virginia, in May 1864, by troopers of General Phil Sheridan's cavalry</b>

(1833-1864) Born at Laurel Hill Farm, a plantation in Patrick County, Virginia, as James Ewell Brown Stuart. His father, Archibald Stuart, was a War of 1812 veteran, attorney, and Democratic politician who represented Patrick County in both houses of the Virginia General Assembly, and also served in the United States Congress. His great-grandfather, Major Alexander Stuart, fought in the Revolutionary War. He graduated #13 in the West Point class of 1854, when Colonel Robert E. Lee was superintendent of the academy, and Stuart became a friend of the family, seeing them socially on frequent occasions. Lee's nephew, future Confederate General Fitzhugh Lee, was a favorite classmate. In Stuart's final year, in addition to achieving the cadet rank of second captain of the corps, he was one of eight cadets designated as honorary "cavalry officers" for his skills in horsemanship. Stuart was commissioned a second lieutenant, and assigned to the U.S. Regiment of Mounted Riflemen in Texas. In 1855, he met and married Flora Cooke, the daughter of 2nd U.S. Dragoon Regiment's commander, Lieutenant Colonel Philip St. George Cooke, who would become a Union general and his adversary during the Civil War. Stuart's leadership capabilities were soon recognized, and he fought in the frontier conflicts with Native American Indians, and in the antebellum violence of Bleeding Kansas. He was wounded on July 29, 1857, while fighting at Solomon River, Kansas, against the Cheyenne. Colonel Edwin V. Sumner ordered a charge with drawn sabers against a wave of Native American arrows. Scattering the Indian warriors, Stuart and three other lieutenants chased one down, whom Stuart wounded in the thigh with his pistol. The Cheyenne turned and fired at Stuart with an old-fashioned pistol, striking him in the chest with a bullet wound.  He was the aide-de-camp of Colonel Robert E. Lee during John Brown's raid of Harpers Ferry. It was Stuart who delivered Lee's written surrender ultimatum to the leader of the group, John Brown, "Old Osawatomie Brown" who Stuart recognized from his days serving in Kansas. Following the secession of Virginia from the Union he joined the Confederacy. During the War Between The States he became one of the most daring and legendary cavalry commanders of the war, serving with General Lee's Army of Northern Virginia, fighting in the Battles of 1st Manassas, the 1862 Virginia Peninsular campaign, 2nd Manassas, the 7 Days Battles, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Brandy Station, Gettysburg, the 1864 Virginia Overland campaign, and he met his ultimate fate at Yellow Tavern, Va., 6 miles north of Richmond, after intercepting Union General Phil Sheridan's cavalry raid. Stuart's troopers resisted from the low ridge line bordering the road to Richmond, fighting for over three hours. After receiving a scouting report from "Texas Jack," Stuart led a counter charge and pushed the advancing Union troopers back from the hilltop. General Stuart, on horseback, shouted encouragement from in front of the 1st Virginia Cavalry while firing his revolver at the Union soldiers. As the 5th Michigan Cavalry streamed in retreat past Stuart, a dismounted Union private, 44-year-old John A. Huff, turned and shot Stuart with his .44-caliber revolver. The large caliber round cut through Stuart's abdomen and exited an inch to the right of his spine. Stuart fell into the arms of Company K's commander Gus W. Dorsey. Dorsey caught him and took him from his horse. Stuart told him: " your men." Dorsey refused to leave him and brought Stuart to the rear. General Stuart suffered great pain as an ambulance took him to Richmond to await his wife's arrival at the home of Dr. Charles Brewer, his brother-in-law. As he was being driven from the field in an ambulance wagon, Stuart noticed disorganized ranks of retreating men and called out to them. His last words on the battlefield were "Go back, go back, and do your duty, as I have done mine, and our country will be safe. Go back, go back! I had rather die than be whipped." Stuart ordered his aide Major McClellan to give his sword, and spurs to his son. As McClellan left his side, Confederate President Jefferson Davis came in, took General Stuart's hand, and asked, "General, how do you feel?" Stuart answered "Easy, but willing to die, if God and my country think I have fulfilled my destiny and done my duty." His last whispered words were, "I am resigned; God's will be done." He died at 7:38 p.m. on May 12, 1864, before his wife Flora Stuart reached his side. He was 31 years old. General J.E.B. Stuart was buried in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, Va. Upon learning of Stuart's death, General Lee is reported to have said that he could hardly keep from weeping at the mere mention of Stuart's name and that Stuart had never given him a bad piece of information. John Huff, the Yankee private who had fatally wounded Stuart, was killed in action just a few weeks later at the Battle of Haw's Shop, Virginia. Stuart's death was one of the severest blows to befall the Confederacy during the war! Flora Stuart wore the black of mourning for the remainder of her life, and never remarried. She lived in Saltville, Virginia, for 15 years after the war, where she opened and taught school in a log cabin. General J.E.B. Stuart was a legendary figure and is considered one of the greatest cavalry commanders in American history. His old friend from his U.S. Army days, Union General John Sedgwick, also killed during the war, said that Stuart was "the greatest cavalry officer ever foaled in America."

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Handsome bust view portrait Of General Stuart in Confederate uniform. No back mark. Very nice condition. Always an extremely popular Confederate general to collect any material on.  

<b>Medal of Honor Recipient for his heroic actions at the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas in 1862 as Lieutenant Colonel of the 9th Iowa Infantry</b>

(1837-1902) Born at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, he later joined his three brothers in Dubuque, Iowa, where they established a bank. In 1859, he organized and was elected captain of a militia company known as the "Governor's Greys," which Herron offered to President-elect Abraham Lincoln in January 1861, two months prior to Lincoln's inauguration. He served with General Nathaniel Lyon's forces in Missouri, as captain of the 1st Iowa Infantry fighting with them in the battles of Boonville, and Wilson's Creek. In September 1861, Herron was promoted to lieutenant colonel of the 9th Iowa Infantry, and fought with them at the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas, where he was wounded and taken prisoner, and for his extraordinary heroism he was commissioned brigadier general of volunteers, and awarded the "Medal of Honor" for his exploits there. At the Battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas, he was promoted to major general to date from November 29, 1862, when he turned certain Union defeat into victory by virtue of his spectacular actions. He served during the siege of Vicksburg where his division of 8 regiments successfully plugged a gap on the extreme left of the Union battle lines.  Upon the surrender of the city General Ulysses S. Grant chose Herron, along with generals James B. McPherson and John A. Logan, to lead the procession of Grant's Army into the city and accept the formal surrender of arms on July 4, 1863. He next led the Yazoo City expedition, capturing the city, a Confederate fleet, and supplies there. Herron was appointed to command of the 13th Corps, and occupied the Texas coast with headquarters at Brownsville. As the Civil War came to an end, General Herron commanded the District of Northern Louisiana, and he was appointed to negotiate treaties with the Indians. After the Civil War ended, he stayed in Baton Rouge where he was a tax collector for a district in New Orleans, and served as a United States Marshal, and Secretary of State of Louisiana before moving to New York City in 1877, where he practiced law and worked as a banker.  He died in New York City on January 8, 1902, at the age of 64, and was buried in Calvary Cemetery in Queens, New York. He was a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. A bronze bust of Herron that was sculpted by Solon Borglum was erected in January 1914, and is located on Pemberton Avenue in Vicksburg National Military Park.  

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Full standing view wearing a double breasted frock coat with rank of brigadier general. He also wears a rectangular eagle belt plate, sash, and sword keeper is attached to his belt. He poses next to a studio column and drape. Back mark: J.A. Scholten, No. 273 South 4th St. Cor.[ner] of Convent, St. Louis. There is some scattered soiling and wear on the verso of the mount. Corners of the mount are very slightly rounded. Very fine image of this Civil War, Medal of Honor recipient. Rare.   

<b>Rare war date General N.P. Banks letter from the 1862 Shenandoah Valley campaign to General John P. Hatch regarding the movements of his cavalry

United States Congressman from Massachusetts

Member of the President Andrew Johnson Impeachment Congress

United States Speaker of the House

Governor of Massachusetts</b>

(1816-1894) Born at Waltham, Massachusetts. He was Speaker of the Massachusetts House, presided over the Constitutional Convention of 1853, and the same year was elected to the U.S. Congress, the first of ten terms. Elected Speaker of the House of Representatives in 1856, Banks showed moderation in deciding among factions during the bitter slavery debates. In 1858 he was elected Governor of Massachusetts, serving until January 1861, when President Abraham Lincoln appointed him a Major General of Volunteers after Banks offered his services. Many West Point officers could not understand this appointment considering that Banks had substandard military qualifications for the job of a field commander. He did contribute immeasurably in recruits, morale, money and propaganda to the Federal cause however. He was defeated by General Stonewall Jackson in the celebrated 1862 Shenandoah Valley campaign with the loss of 30% of his force, and again by Jackson at Cedar Mountain, Va. Banks saw  service during the Vicksburg campaign, and commanded the siege and capture of Port Hudson, La., and also commanded the Red River campaign. General Banks undertook a number of steps intended to facilitate the Reconstruction plans of President Lincoln in Louisiana. When Banks arrived in New Orleans, the atmosphere was somewhat hostile to the Union owing to some of General Benjamin F. Butler's actions. Banks moderated some of Butler's policies, freeing civilians that Butler had detained and reopening churches whose ministers refused to support the Union. He recruited large numbers of African Americans for the military, and instituted formal works and education programs to organize the many slaves who had left their plantations. After the war Banks returned to his political career. He died on September 1, 1894, at Waltham, Mass., at the age of 84. Fort Banks in Winthrop, Massachusetts, built in the late 1890s, was named for him. A statue of him stands in Waltham's Central Square, and Banks Street in New Orleans is named after him.

<u>Civil War Letter Signed</u>: 7 3/4 x 9 3/4, in ink.

Head Quarters- 21 July [1862] 9 P.M.

Brigadier General Hatch

Culpeper, Virginia

Dear Sir-

I enclose to you important papers tonight. Undertake the enterprise if it be in human power. You will not regard of course the request for the return of a Squadron of cavalry if you start so impertinent an enterprise. Do not let any obstacles impede your march. Enclosed you will find a copy of Colonel [Henry] Anisunsel's  Report received at 8:45 tonight. Keep us advised & whoever is at Culpeper should report constantly.

Very truly yours,

N.P. Banks

M.[ajor] G.[eneral]

Excellent condition, and content! General Banks is common to find in post war letters and autographs, but rarely do you find his war date letters with any significant content in them. This is one of the best I've found to date discussing his campaign against Rebel General Stonewall Jackson during his celebrated 1862 Shenandoah Valley Campaign. Rare and very desirable!

<u>WBTS Trivia</u>: The recipient of this letter was General John P. Hatch who was in command of the cavalry forces of General Nathaniel P. Banks during the 1862 Shenandoah Valley Campaign. Hatch would later be badly wounded in the September 1862 Battle at South Mountain, Maryland, in the Antietam Campaign.

The Colonel whose report that General Banks is talking about in this letter was Colonel Henry Anisunsel, of the 1st West Virginia Cavalry, who also saw action in the 1862 Shenandoah Valley Campaign. 


<b>Commander-in-Chief of the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, and in 1865 all Confederate armies in the field

One of the very last images ever taken of General Robert E. Lee

Photographed by Charles Rees in Richmond, Virginia</b>

(1807-1870) Born at Stratford, in Westmoreland County, Va., he was the  son of the legendary Revolutionary War hero, "Lighthorse Harry" Lee. Graduated #2 in the West Point class of 1829 without a single demerit to his name in 4 years! He emerged from the Mexican War with one wound, three brevets for gallantry, a brilliant reputation, and the ever lasting esteem of the commanding General of the United States Army, General Winfield Scott, who said that Robert E. Lee was "the very best soldier that I ever saw in the field." He served as Superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy, 1852-55, with one of his favorite students being James Ewell Brown Stuart, the gallant Confederate cavalry general, "J.E.B. Stuart," who served in General Lee's command during the War Between The States. Lee commanded the detachment that captured John Brown at Harper's Ferry in 1859. Lee turned down the command of the entire Union Army offered to him by President Abraham Lincoln in 1861, as he said he could never raise his sword against his native Virginia, a sentiment that was very deeply shared in 18th century America by several states, and many individuals. At that time in the history of our young 85 year old nation it was common for people's first loyalty be to their native states rather than the Federal government in Washington. One has to go back and study the 1787 Federal Convention in Philadelphia to gain a better understanding how our nation was formed and the great difficulties it took for the original 13 colonies to put their faith in another central government after recently winning a war against Great Britain to gain their independence. Instead of accepting President Lincoln's offer, Lee was appointed commander of all military forces of Virginia, and afterwards general in the Regular Army of the Confederate States of America. During the War Between The States, he commanded the Army of Northern Virginia at such battlefields as 2nd Manassas, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spotsylvania, Petersburg, Richmond and Appomattox. His reputation became legendary and he might very well be the most famous soldier in American military history! In the last years of his life, he served as the president of Washington College at Lexington, Virginia, now called Washington & Lee University, from 1865-1870. Several glowing appraisals of General Lee's tenure as college president have survived, depicting the dignity and respect he commanded among all. A typical account by a professor there states that "the students worshiped him, and deeply dreaded his displeasure; yet so kind, affable, and gentle was he toward them that all loved to approach him. ... No student would have dared to violate General Lee's expressed wish or appeal." On September 28, 1870, Lee suffered a stroke. He died two weeks later, shortly after 9 a.m., on October 12, 1870, in the President's residence, in  Lexington. General Lee is buried in a basement crypt of what is now The Lee Memorial Chapel, at Washington & Lee University. It also contains the remains of much of Lee's direct family: Lee himself, his wife Mary Custis Lee, and his seven children; General George Washington Custis Lee, Mary Anna Custis Lee, General William Henry Fitzhugh "Rooney"  Lee, Anne Carter Lee, Captain Robert E. Lee Jr., Eleanor Agnes Lee, and Mildred Childe Lee.

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph mounted to 2 1/2 x 4 1/8 card mount. Very handsome bust view portrait of Robert E. Lee taken at a sitting in Richmond, Va., done by Charles R. Rees. Lee is pictured in his dark suit, large bow tie, and vest with rounded lapels. The image was taken during the period when Lee was president of Washington College, and it is one of the last photographs ever taken of General Lee. Back mark: C.R. Rees & Co., Richmond, Virginia, 1870. Includes a vignette of the facade of the famous Rees Gallery in Richmond, Va. All done in a red colored imprint. A wonderful, striking image of General Robert E. Lee. This image was once part of the famous and historic late William A. Turner collection. Mr. Bill Turner was one of the foremost experts and collectors of Confederate photography in the world. He was the author of "Even More Confederate Faces," and his amazing Confederate images were used in countless books, magazines, and documentary television programs. Here is your opportunity to own a Confederate image from this extraordinary collection. Light wear to the upper edge of the card mount. Very fine. Extremely desirable. Very rare!

CDV, General J. E. B. Stuart $95.00


CDV, General Francis J. Herron $395.00


Autograph, General Nathaniel P. Banks $650.00


CDV, General Robert E. Lee $895.00

H 54in. x D 30in.  

<b>Anti Slavery Newspaper published by the famous abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison</b>

Boston, Friday, August 1, 1862. Vol. XXXII. No. 31. Large masthead at the top featuring engravings of a slave auction at the left, and a hopeful scene at the right of an emancipated slave family. 4 pages, 18 x 24. Articles include: General McClellan's Strategy. The Army of the Potomac. Abolition Puritanism. Union Officers Mutilating Passes to Accommodate Rebel Spies. Proclaim Liberty Throughout all the Land, to all Inhabitants Thereof. No Union With Slaveholders. Enforcing Slave Laws. The President's Views. Important Meeting of the Colored People of Boston. Brownlow's Unionism. Appeal From the Rebel Morgan. Secessionist in Chicago. Important Order of General Pope. American Slavery The Prophecy. The Little Contrabands. Speech of Gerrit Smith on Religion. Defenders of Slavery. Sacredness of Slavery. Much more. Edge wear and small edge splits, light age toning. Overall a very fine edition for content and condition. Please note that due to the size of this newspaper (18 x 24) our online image has been cropped to fit on our scanner. Scarce. Desirable war date anti-slavery newspaper.

<u>WBTS Trivia</u>: William Lloyd Garrison, one of America's most prominent abolitionist, published "The Liberator," a weekly newspaper, from 1831 to 1865, out of Boston, Massachusetts. While other abolitionists of favored a slow end to slavery, Garrison vowed with a very vocal voice to end slavery from his very first issue of the "The Liberator." He strenuously advocated for the immediate enfranchisement of the slave population in America which at the time was considered a radical position.      

<b>Colonel 7th Massachusetts Infantry

Killed at the battle of Winchester, Va. in 1864</b>

(1820-64) Born in Salem, New York, he graduated in the West Point class of 1845, and served in the 1st and 4th U.S. Infantry. He fought in the Mexican War and was brevetted for gallantry at the Battles of Paso Ovejas and Cerro Gordo. In 1861, he served in the 4th U.S. Infantry in the defenses of Washington, D.C. He was commissioned colonel of the 7th Massachusetts Infantry, on January 31, 1862, and fought in the 1862 Virginia Peninsular campaign, the Seven Days Battles, and the Battle of Antietam. Promoted to brigadier general on November 29, 1862, he directed a brigade at the Battle of Fredericksburg, and his brigade lost 368 casualties while storming Marye's Heights in May 1863 during the Chancellorsville campaign. He served at Gettysburg, and greatly distinguished himself in command of a division at Rappahannock Station by personally leading a charge. He later fought with distinction from the Wilderness to Petersburg, Va. At the Battle of Winchester, Va., on September 19, 1864, while leading one of his brigades, General Russell was killed instantly by a shell fragment which tore through his heart. He was 43 years old at the time of his death. On May 3, 1867, President Andrew Johnson nominated Russell for the grade of brevet major general in the regular army, to rank from the date of his death in the field, September 19, 1864. He is buried in Salem, New York, in Evergreen Cemetery. 

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Half view in uniform with rank of brigadier general. Back mark: E. & H.T. Anthony, 501 Broadway, New York, From Photographic Negative in Brady's National Portrait Gallery. Very fine. Scarce.  H 36in. x D 14in.

Priced per item. MORE AVAILABLE...ASK

H 54in. x D 30in. $2400.00


The Liberator, August 1, 1862 $150.00


CDV, General David A. Russell $250.00


H 36in. x D 14in.
Priced per item. MO $600.00

H 10in. x W 6in. x D 8in.

Priced per pair.  D 84in.  H 72in. x W 48in.  

<b>Served in the battles of Antietam, Fredericksburg, Vicksburg, Knoxville, Grant's 1864 Overland campaign, Petersburg and Appomattox</b>

(1827-1900) Born in Coatesville, Chester County, Pennsylvania, he graduated #2 in the West Point class of 1849. He was appointed brigadier general on November 23, 1861, and commanded a brigade in General Ambrose E. Burnside's North Carolina expedition, and at the battle of Fort Macon. He was promoted to major general on August 20, 1862, and served as Burnside's chief of staff in the battles of Antietam and Fredericksburg. In 1863, he commanded the 9th Corps and directed his men skillfully at Vicksburg and in the capture of Jackson, Mississippi. He then took part in the Knoxville campaign against General James Longstreet. Returning east in 1864, he did yeoman's work during General U.S. Grant's Overland campaign. He later served in the Petersburg campaign, and after the debacle at the battle of the Crater, he succeeded General Burnside in command of the 9th Corps. During the attack on Fort Stedman, Va., on March 25, 1865, Parke commanded the army in the temporary absence of General George G. Meade, and moved quickly and capably to repel the last tactical assault by General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia during the 1865 Appomattox campaign. For this service he was brevetted major general in the Regular U.S. Army. After the Confederate surrender, General Parke commanded the 9th Corps in the Department of Washington. He served as superintendent of the United States Military Academy from August 28, 1887, to June 24, 1889, and he retired from the Army on July 2nd of that year. He wrote several reports on public improvements, and exploration of the west. He also served as a cartographer, publishing maps of the New Mexico Territory and of California. General John G. Parke died in Washington, D.C., on December 16, 1900, at the age of 73,  and is buried in the churchyard of the Church of St. James the Less in Philadelphia.

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Very sharp half view wearing a double breasted frock coat with rank of major general. "Maj. Genl. Parke" is written in period ink on the front mount. The left edge of the card mount is very slightly trimmed. Back mark: C.D. Fredricks & Co., 587 Broadway, New York, and also includes their addresses in Habana and Paris. Scarce.

H 10in. x W 6in. x D 8in.
Priced per $550.00




H 72in. x W 48in. $6000.00


CDV, General John G. Parke $250.00

H 20in. x D 36in.  H 24in. x D 36in.  H 48in. x D 26in.  H 66in. x D 32in.

H 20in. x D 36in. $5800.00


H 24in. x D 36in. $3800.00


H 48in. x D 26in. $5400.00


H 66in. x D 32in. $6500.00

H 50in. x D 32in.  H 46in. x D 20in.  H 60in. x D 32in.  H 48in. x D 24in.

H 50in. x D 32in. $6500.00


H 46in. x D 20in. $2400.00


H 60in. x D 32in. $3600.00


H 48in. x D 24in. $2400.00

H 40in. x D 18in.  H 36in. x D 22in.  H 33in. x D 18in.  H 48in. x D 30in.

H 40in. x D 18in. $2600.00


H 36in. x D 22in. $1800.00


H 33in. x D 18in. $550.00


H 48in. x D 30in. $2400.00

H 50in. x D 14in.  

<b>Important Early Anti-Slavery Abolitionist</b>

(1795-1875) Born on October 12, 1795, in Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, he was educated at Princeton, was an American jurist, and author, who played a major role in the recognition of the horrors of the institution of slavery which was one of the primary causes of the War Between The States. Stroud was the author of a "Sketch Of The Laws Relating To Slavery In The Several States Of The United States Of America." Even before the Dred Scott decision, Stroud's book had extensive influence upon national legal thinking on the issue of slavery. In a survey of slave codes of the period, he analyzed the statutes of twelve slave holding states and drew upon works written by Judges in many of those states. Stroud's book on slave laws, therefore, exposed to the world, through its publications in 1827 and 1856 the very diabolical nature of the legal enactments throughout the South that debased both African people and those who held them in bondage. It is for this reason that Stroud's book became such an important work of the nineteenth century, and continues to offer lessons of national importance today. George McDowell Stroud served as Judge of the District Court of Philadelphia for 36 years, serving in this position throughout the Civil War. He died in Germantown, Pa., on June 29, 1875, and is buried in Laurel Hill Cemetery, Philadelphia.

<u>Autograph With Sentiment</u>: 3 1/2 x 1 1/2, in ink, Very truly, respectfully, Geo. M. Stroud. Very nice, boldly written signature.      

<b>Photographed in Phoenixville, Pennsylvania

Home of the manufacturer of the famous Griffin artillery gun highly used during the Civil War</b>

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Full standing view of handsome young Yankee private wearing a 9 button frock coat and kepi and posing with one hand resting on the top of a cushion backed studio chair with drape in the background. Back mark: Photographed by M.B. Yarnall, Phoenixville, Pa. Corners of the mount are very slightly trimmed. Very nice Civil War image. 

<u>Phoenixville, Pa. Trivia</u>: A borough in Chester County, Pennsylvania, located 28 miles northwest of Philadelphia, in the Delaware Valley, at the junction of French Creek and the Schuylkill River. The Phoenixville area was originally known as Manavon. On March 6, 1849, despite public opposition, Manavon was incorporated as a borough and was renamed Phoenixville. For much of its history, Phoenixville was known for being home to the Phoenix Iron Works, producing notable products such as the Griffin gun and the Phoenix column. 

During the Revolutionary War, the British Army arrived in Manavon (now Phoenixville) on September 21, 1777, with 14,000 troops and Hessians. For the three days that they were in the area they ransacked every home and business in the area.  During the Battle of Brandywine in September 1777, the noise of the cannons could be heard in Manavon.  Wounded American and British soldiers were brought to area churches, meeting houses, and taverns for treatment. In 1777, most of the local residents were either Quakers or Mennonites, whose religious principles prevented them from bearing arms. It is estimated that about 30 men from the Phoenixville area served in the Revolutionary Army.

The Griffin gun was a 3 inch ordnance rifle and 45 % of the artillery guns used at Gettysburg were Griffin guns which became known as the most accurate gun used during the Civil War. Between 1861-64, the Union army purchased some 1,400 of these guns from the Phoenix Iron Works. The Phoenixville area also supplied many Union troops during the Civil War.  

<b>Murdered at his headquarters in 1863 by a jealous husband!

Image published by Vannerson & Jones, Richmond, Va.</b>

(1820-63) Born near Port Gibson in Claiborne County, Mississippi, he was a great-nephew of President Andrew Jackson. He graduated in the West Point class of 1842, with one of his classmates being future Confederate General James Longstreet. Van Dorn was known for fighting with distinction during the Mexican War, seeing action in the battles of Monterey, Vera Cruz, Contreras, Cerro Gordo, Churubusco and Mexico City. He became famous for successfully leading a defense of a Native-American settlement against the attacking Comanche, in addition to his impressive victories as a cavalry commander during the War Between the States. He is considered one of the greatest cavalry commanders to have ever lived. He resigned his commission in the U.S. Army on January 31, 1861, in order to join the Confederacy. Appointed brigadier general on June 5, 1861, he was assigned to Texas where some of the Union forces there surrendered to him. He was soon promoted to major general on September 19, 1861. The following January he was appointed commander of the Army of the West in the Trans-Mississippi theater where he fought at the Battle of Pea Ridge, Arkansas in March 1862. He later fought at the 2nd Battle of Corinth, in October 1862. General Van Dorn achieved a very notable victory when he captured a large Union supply depot in his Holly Springs Raid, embarrassing General Ulysses S. Grant, and disrupting his Vicksburg operations, and in the process saving the Confederacy's important stronghold, and main port on the Mississippi River. His next acclaimed success that helped establish his reputation as a military genius was his overwhelming defeat over an enemy brigade at the Battle of Thompson's Station, Tennessee. He was murdered in his headquarters on May 7, 1863, by Doctor James B. Peters, who alleged that Van Dorn had an affair with his wife! While stationed at Spring Hill, General Van Dorn was often seen in the company of Mrs. Jessie McKissack Peters, the young wife of Doctor Peters who was in his late forties. The dashing Rebel general was considered to be a ladies' man, and Mrs. Peters was frequently seen as the general's riding partner. The jealous Doctor Peters decided to pay a call on General Van Dorn at his headquarters in the Martin Cheairs home, and shot the general dead as he sat behind his desk. Peters immediately fled the area and found sanctuary within the Union lines at Franklin, Tennessee, and justified the murder of General Van Dorn for him violating the sanctity of his home. The general was originally buried at Spring Hill, in the family plot of his wife, but his remains were later sent to Port Gibson, in 1902, and he was re-interred in Wintergreen Cemetery.

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 3 3/4 card. Bust view in Confederate uniform. Bottom of the mount is slightly trimmed. Light age toning and wear. Back mark: Vannerson & Jones, Photographic Artists, No. 77 Main St., Richmond, Va., with a pair of 1 cent, U.S. Internal Revenue Proprietary tax stamps, with a bust view of George Washington, and 1865 date handwritten in ink on both stamps. Very scarce and extremely desirable to find his image with a Vannerson & Jones, Richmond, Va. imprint. This is probably the best known portrait in uniform of General Van Dorn, and was most likely the last photograph he ever had taken!

H 50in. x D 14in. $4800.00


Autograph, Judge George M. Stroud $35.00


CDV, Union Pennsylvania Private $90.00


CDV, General Earl Van Dorn $395.00

<b>1862 dated Mathew Brady photograph

Colonel 9th Indiana Infantry in 1861</b>

(1816-90) Born on a farm near Canton, Indiana, he graduated from the Norwich Academy in Vermont in 1843. He served in the Mexican War as captain of a company of the 1st Indiana Volunteers. At the outbreak of the Civil War he was appointed colonel of the 9th Indiana Infantry. After taking part in General George B. McClellan's 1861 western Virginia campaign, he was promoted to brigadier general on September 3, 1861. He then commanded the Cheat Mountain district, and was engaged in the 1862 Shenandoah Valley campaign against Confederate General Stonewall Jackson. He later commanded an "Independent Brigade," attached to General Franz Sigel's Corps, at the battle of 2nd Bull Run. He was promoted to major general to rank from November 29, 1862. In June 1863, Milroy in command of some 7,000 men at Winchester, was outmaneuvered, outfought, and badly defeated by General Richard S. Ewell's 2nd Corps of General Lee's Army of Northern Virginia while they were enroute to Gettysburg, Pa. He lost 3,400 prisoners, all 23 pieces of his artillery, 300 supply wagons, and many dead and wounded were left on the battlefield. During the Winchester attack, Milroy's horse was hit by an exploding artillery shell, he was thrown from the saddle and seriously bruised his left hip in the process, but did not seek any medical attention, and instead just mounted another horse and carried on. General Milroy himself, with 200 cavalry, made good his escape to Harpers Ferry, Va. In the spring of 1864, he was transferred to the Western Theater, where he recruited troops for General George H. Thomas's Army of the Cumberland in Nashville. Known for his harsh treatment of civilians, General Milroy oftentimes banished people, and held public executions of folks who expressed pro-Confederate sympathies. He also commanded the Defenses of the Nashville and Chattanooga Railroad in the Department of the Cumberland until the end of the war. Milroy resigned from the Union army on July 26, 1865. After the war, he was a trustee of the Wabash and Erie Canal Company and from 1872-75, he was the superintendent of Indian Affairs in the Washington Territory, and an Indian agent for the following ten years. Milroy suffered for years from the hip injury that he received at the battle of Winchester, and he died from heart failure in Olympia, Washington on May 29, 1890, at the age of 73, and is buried in the Masonic Memorial Park at Tumwater, Washington.    

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Beautiful half view pose wearing a double breasted frock coat with rank of brigadier general, gauntlets, and a rectangular U.S. eagle belt plate. 1862 M.B. Brady, District of Columbia imprint on the front mount. Back mark: E. & H.T. Anthony, 501 Broadway, New York, From a Photographic Negative in Brady's National Portrait Gallery. Minor age toning, and 2 very tiny surface pin pricks to the lower part of the mount, not affecting the image or the imprint in any way. Very sharp and extremely desirable image. Uncommon.    

<b>His troops were defeated by the cadets of V.M.I. at the Battle of New Market, Va. in 1864</b>

(1824-1902) Born in Baden, Germany, he graduated from a military academy at Karlsruhe in 1843, and became a subaltern in the service of Grand Duke Leopold. During the 1848 insurrections he acted as minister of war for the revolutionary forces which were overthrown by the Prussians. He fled to New York in 1852, and during the years before the Civil War he taught school, and was a major in the 5th New York Militia. He was a professor at the German-American Institute in St. Louis, Missouri, and was elected director of the St. Louis public schools in 1860.  Sigel became a brigadier general on August 7, 1861, and a major general on March 22, 1862. Despite his military shortcomings, he did much to unify the very large German population living in the Northern states, and contributed greatly in raising thousands of recruits to the Union ranks, and he openly supported antislavery causes.   "I fights mit Sigel," became almost a password among the Dutch and his strong influence with them never waned. He performed well at the capture of Camp Jackson, and the engagement at Carthage, Mo., and at the battle at Elkhorn Tavern he contributed greatly to the Union victory. He saw action in the 1862 2nd Bull Run campaign where he was wounded in the hand. Over the winter of 1862–63, General Sigel commanded the 11th Corps, in the Army of the Potomac, which consisting primarily of German immigrant soldiers. President Lincoln, for political reasons, directed Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton to place General Sigel in command of the Department of West Virginia. On May 15, 1864, he had the misfortune to fight the battle of New Market, Va., against the young cadets of the Virginia Military Institute, by whom he was soundly trounced which became what is now one of those legendary events that occurred during the Civil War. In July 1864, Sigel fought General Jubal A. Early forces at Harpers Ferry, Va. He resigned his commission from the Union army on May 4, 1865. After the war he worked as a newspaper editor in New York City, became involved in New York State politics, served as a collector of internal revenue, and in 1887, President Grover Cleveland appointed him pension agent for the city of New York. He also lectured, worked in advertising, and published the "New York Monthly," a German-American periodical, for several years. General Franz Sigel died in New York in 1902, at the age of 77, and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Bronx, New York. 

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Superb quality standing view in uniform with rank of major general with one hand resting on his hip. Back mark: E. & H.T. Anthony, 501 Broadway, New York, From a Photographic Negative in Brady's National Portrait Gallery. Very sharp and desirable image.  


<b>He was severely wounded at the Mexican War battle of Cerro Gordo and left for dead on the battlefield

Colonel of the 1st Minnesota Infantry

Seriously wounded at the Battle of Antietam, Maryland in 1862</b>

(1822-1905) He was born at Fort Sullivan, in Eastport, Maine, and graduated in the West Point class of 1842, and was commissioned 2nd lieutenant in the 7th U.S. Infantry. He fought in the Mexican War at the Battle of Monterrey, was promoted to 1st lieutenant on February 16, 1847, and took part in the Siege of Vera Cruz. At the battle of Cerro Gordo he was severely wounded while storming the entrenchments on Telegraph Hill. He was left for dead until picked up by a burial detail 36 hours later. For his heroic actions at Cerro Gordo, Dana was promoted to brevet captain. Dana joined the Union army in the fall of 1861, and was appointed Colonel of the 1st Minnesota Infantry. He was then appointed brigade commander in General Charles P. Stone's Division, of the Army of the Potomac, and his men took part in the Battle of Ball's Bluff, Va., on October 21st. On February 6, 1862, Dana was commissioned brigadier general, and given command of the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 3rd Corps, which he led throughout the 1862 Virginia Peninsula Campaign in the spring and summer of 1862, participating in the Siege of Yorktown, the Battles of Seven Pines, White Oak Swamp, Glendale, and Malvern Hill. General Dana led his brigade gallantly during the Battle of Antietam, on September 17, 1862, where he was severely wounded in his left leg, and was carried to a Union field hospital. Dana's command lost about 900 men killed, wounded, and missing at Antietam. President Lincoln submitted Dana's nomination for promotion to major general to the U.S. Senate which was confirmed on March 9, 1863. During the Gettysburg Campaign he commanded the Defenses of Philadelphia, and also led the 2nd division of General Darius N. Couch's Department of the Susquehanna. That fall, Dana was given divisional and then corps command in the Department of the Gulf. He led the department's second division, and participated in the action at Fordoche Bayou, as well as the expedition from Brazos Santiago to Laredo, Texas, and was overall Union commander during the Battle of Stirling's Plantation. He was later in command at Vicksburg, and the Department of Mississippi until May 14, 1865. In 1872, Dana began his lengthy connection with railroads serving as the superintendent of several railroads in Illinois, most notably the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad, at Rock Island. He was then the commissioner in charge of Railroads at St. Louis, Missouri, from 1878 to 1881, and was president of the Montana and Union Railway Company in 1885. Dana next served as chief of the Old War and Navy Division, U.S. Pension Department, in 1893, and was promoted to 1st Deputy Commissioner of Pensions by President Grover Cleveland in 1895. While visiting Portsmouth, New Hampshire, he died on July 15, 1905, at the age of 83. He was buried in Portsmouth's Harmony Grove Cemetery.

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Standing view wearing a double breasted frock coat with rank of brigadier general. He poses next to a studio table while holding his cap with insignia. He is also wearing an eagle sword belt plate, with his sash and sword attached to his belt. Back mark: E. & H.T. Anthony, 501 Broadway, New York, From Photographic Negative in Brady's National Portrait Gallery. Very fine. Scarce image.   All period original,  remaining in excellent condition and ready to play, this staple of the Civil War camp has been well documented by Civil War site diggers and offers lots of eye appeal and period charm. With clear evidence of period construction and a rich age patina this old Jews Harp will be neat relic for the personal item collector or musical enthusiast.  <B>Buy with confidence! </B><I>  We are pleased to offer a <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased on direct sales!</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item will be returned per these provisions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I>  <FONT COLOR=#0000FF>Thanks for visiting Gunsight Antiques! </FONT COLOR=#0000FF>

CDV, General Robert H. Milroy $200.00


CDV, General Franz Sigel $150.00


CDV, General Napoleon J. T. Dana $250.00


Civil War vintage JEWS HARP $55.00

           Offered here from a small cash of <B>Co. A 46th Mass. Regimental Association</B> ribbons emanating from <B>Congressional Medal of Honor</B> winner and association Commander, Andrew S. Bryant are <U>eight</U> ribbons beginning with a fine circa 1880 ribbon that doubled as a pass to the festivities.  The ribbon bears the following in gold print on the face <B>Co. A. Association, 46th Regt. M.V.M., sixth annual, REUNION AND CLAM BAKE, at Callup’s Grove, Wednesday, July 21, 1880, </B><U>show this badge at the boat and tables</U>, STEAMER RIVER BELL, Will leave pier one, foot of State Street, half past one o’clock P. M. sharp.</I> The group contains 5 additional ribbons, one each for reunions held in 1883 – 84 - 88– 1890 and 1895.  These ribbons came together from among Andrew Bryant’s  things left from when he was <U>Commander of the 46th Mass Veteran Association</U> and are in excellent condition after decades of storage. 

      Andrew Symmes Bryant was a 21 year old banker in Springfield Mass. when he enlisted and mustered in on August 15, 1862 as a Sergeant of Co. A 46th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry.  Bryant would be promoted to Sgt. Major and was awarded the Medal of Honor for bravery on the field at the Battle of New Bern, North Carolina on May 23, 1863.  His citation reads: <I>The President of the United States of America, in the name of Congress, takes pleasure in presenting the Medal of Honor to Sergeant Andrew Symmes Bryant, United States Army, for extraordinary heroism on 23 May 1863, while serving with Company A, 46th Massachusetts Infantry, in action at New Bern, North Carolina.  By his courage and judicious disposition of his guard of 16 men, stationed in a small earthwork at the head of the bridge, Sergeant Bryant held in check and repulsed for a half hour a fierce attack of a strong force of the enemy, thus probably saving the city New Bern from capture. </I>

      After the Civil War Bryant returned to Springfield where he was an active member of the Co. A 46th MVM Veteran Association and GAR Post 16.  He died on October 6, 1931 and rests in Springfield  Cemetery, Springfield, Massachusetts.  A really nice Civil War veteran group with association to one of the war’s Medal of Honor recipients. You will be well pleased with the condition of the old man’s ribbons.  Our letter of provenance will accompany the group.

 <B>Buy with confidence! </B><I> All direct sales are backed by </I> <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased !</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item is being returned per these previsions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I> 

 Maker marked  <I><B> WRIGHT - SUPERIOR TENN </I></B> this desirable early <I>stub-tail</I> straight razor exhibits every indication of having been <I>country</I> wrought as opposed to being the product of the more usual  skilled cutler.   Additional significance beyond interest as a collectable earlier to mid-1800s razor can be gleaned from the <I>Wright – Superior Tenn</I> identification as we search out records of a likely maker.  With no recorded cutlers, we found with <U>only a single listing for a blacksmith in the area.</U>  He was <B>Richard Wright</B>who was recorded in the <I>1860 / 61 Nashville & vicinity Directory</I> as <I>Blacksmith res: Franklin Pike</I>. (Superior Tenn. was adjacent to and may well have been considered by period locals as part of Nashville.)  Our search of the <I>Compiled Confederate Military Service Records</I> produced one Tennessee Richard Wright.  He is recorder as having mustered in as a Private of Co. F <B>37th Tenn. Inf.</B> (a. k. a. 7th Inf & 1st East Tenn. Rifles)  Transferring  to Co. K then B period rolls found on show Wright’s initial enlistment was for 12 months.  A nice country American made example, this old <I>stub-tail</I> remains in pleasing all original condition with desirable evidence of period use but snug at its iron pinned hand crafted wood grip.

<B>Buy with confidence! </B><I>  We are pleased to offer a <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased on direct sales!</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item will be returned per these provisions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I>  <FONT COLOR=#0000FF>Thanks for visiting Gunsight Antiques! </FONT COLOR=#0000FF>

 Best described here by our photos as to condition and eye appeal this attractive turned brass <I>push up</I> candlestick stands approximately 5 5/8 inches and remains in exceptional condition with that untouched natural age patina that collectors love.  With the removeable base <I>take-down</I> feature for travel, this piece will fit especially well in any quality lighting or personal item grouping from as early as the War of 1812, Mexican War through the Civil War periods.  <B>Buy with confidence! </B><I>  We are pleased to offer a <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased on direct sales!</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item will be returned per these provisions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I>  <FONT COLOR=#0000FF>Thanks for visiting Gunsight Antiques! </FONT COLOR=#0000FF>

 A tough item to find on today’s market, this Mod. 1795 Springfield remains in <U>original</U> flint and is offered here in <U>untouched, <I>attic fresh</I> condition, uncleaned and unmolested just as it was set aside decades ago.</U>  A special opportunity for the <I>purest</I>, this old 1795 Springfield  is ready to display as is or with the acquisition of a frizzen spring and top jaw with screw and some properly applied <I>TLC</I> will clean to <I>NRA fine</I>.  Best described here by our several illustrations as to condition and eye appeal, suffice it to say that with the exception of the most minor evidence of period use and carrying (Likely the result of early issue loss of the top jaw screw from over tightening.) this, the earliest model of Springfields, remains in exceptional condition with strong markings. <B>Buy with confidence! </B><I>  We are pleased to offer a <B><U>no questions asked</U> three day inspection with return as purchased on direct sales!</B> <I>Just send us a courtesy  e-mail to let us know your item will be returned per these provisions and your purchase price will be refunded accordingly.</I>  <FONT COLOR=#0000FF>Thanks for visiting Gunsight Antiques! </FONT COLOR=#0000FF>

CIVIL WAR Medal of Honor - 46th Mass. Ve $165.00


earlier 1800s Tennessee Straight Razor -


Earlier to mid-1800s ‘Take-Down’ traveli $125.00


Mod. 1795 Springfield Musket in ORIGINAL $2350.00

<b>The legendary Confederate raider who was killed in Tennessee in 1864</b>

(1825-64) Born in Huntsville, Alabama, he was the brother-in-law of Confederate Generals' A.P. Hill, and Basil W. Duke. Morgan grew up on the family farm outside of Lexington, Kentucky, and attended Transylvania College for two years, but was suspended in 1844 for dueling with a fraternity brother. In 1846, during the Mexican War, Morgan enlisted with his brother Calvin, and his uncle Alexander, in the U.S. Army as a private in the cavalry. He was promoted to 1st lieutenant, fighting in the Battle of Buena Vista. He organized the "Lexington Rifles" in 1857, and spent much of his time drilling his men. When the War Between the States broke out, he led his command to join the Confederacy. From then until his death his exploits made him one of the most legendary figures of the Confederacy. He was promoted to colonel of the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry on April 4, 1862, and brigadier general on December 11th. His series of raids into Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana and Ohio earned him a vote of thanks from the Confederate Congress and the undying hatred of a large segment of the frightened Northern population. On his most famous raid north of the Ohio in 1863, he was captured near New Lisbon and imprisoned in the Ohio State Penitentiary with several of his officers. But no prison could hold the notorious Confederate raider as he soon escaped! On the night of September 3, 1864, while en-route to attack Union forces near Knoxville, Tennessee he camped near Greenville. Early the next morning he was surprised by a detachment of Union cavalry and was killed in the garden of the house where he had been sleeping. General John Hunt Morgan was only 39 years old.

Wet plate, albumen carte de visite photograph, mounted to 2 3/8 x 4 card. Half view wearing a double breasted Confederate frock coat with rank of brigadier general. Period ID "John Morgan" is written on the front of the card. Back mark: E. & H.T. Anthony, 501 Broadway, New York. Excellent condition. Extremely desirable image. John Hunt Morgan is one of the most popular Confederate generals to collect any and all material on!   

<b>Letter Signed

Wounded and captured at the Battle of Booneville, Mississippi

Colonel of the 5th Michigan Cavalry in General Custer's Brigade at the Battle of Gettysburg

Severely wounded during the Confederate retreat from Gettysburg

United States Senator from Michigan

U.S. Secretary of War under President William McKinley

Governor of Michigan</b>

(1836-1907) Born in Lafayette Township, Medina County, Ohio. He attended Richfield Academy, studied law in Akron, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar in 1859. He enlisted in the Civil War on September 2, 1861, as a private, and was soon commissioned captain of the 2nd Michigan Cavalry. In 3 years, he served in a remarkable 66 different battles and skirmishes. On July 1, 1862, at the Battle of Booneville, Mississippi, Alger attacked the enemy's rear with ninety men, and was wounded and taken prisoner, but he escaped the same day with the Confederates being soundly defeated. On October 16, 1862, he was promoted lieutenant colonel of the 6th Michigan Cavalry, and to colonel of the 5th Michigan Cavalry, on June 11, 1863. Colonel Alger led his regiment into the battle of Gettysburg as part of General George A. Custer's Michigan Brigade, and was cited for bravery in Custer's after battle cavalry report. He was severely wounded on July 8, 1863, at Boonsboro, Maryland, during the Union army's pursuit of General Robert E. Lee's retreating Army of Northern Virginia after their defeat at Gettysburg. He fought in General Phil Sheridan's 1864 Shenandoah Valley campaign, and on June 11th, at Trevillian Station, he captured a large force of Confederates with a brilliant cavalry charge. He was promoted to brevet brigadier, and brevet major general for his gallant Civil War record. In 1868, he was elected as the first commander of the Michigan Department of the Grand Army of the Republic, and in 1889 he was appointed the National Commander-in-Chief at the 23rd National GAR Encampment at Milwaukee, Wisconsin. He was also a member of the Michigan Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States. Alger was a leader of the "Boys in Blue," an organization of Union veterans formed to support Republican Party policies and candidates. Alger served as Governor of Michigan, 1885-87; as U.S. Secretary of War, 1897-99, in the administration of President William McKinley; and as U.S. Senator from Michigan, 1902-07. He died on January 24, 1907, at the age of 70, in Washington, D.C. He is buried in Elmwood Cemetery, in Detroit, Michigan. 

The recipient of General Alger's letter was Colonel William D. Mann, who was born in Sandusky, Ohio, on September 27, 1839. He was a 21 year old resident of Detroit, Michigan, when he enlisted on August 22, 1861, and was commissioned captain in Co. K, 1st Michigan Cavalry. On August 27, 1862, he was commissioned lieutenant colonel of the field and staff of the 5th Michigan Cavalry, which was Colonel Alger's regiment. On December 1, 1862, he was promoted to rank of colonel, and commissioned into the field and staff of the 7th Michigan Cavalry. After the war he lived in New York City, where General Alger sent him this letter.   

<u>Typed Letter Signed</u>: 5 1/2 x 8 1/4, signed in ink.

R.A. Alger

Detroit, Mich.

April 11, 1902

Col. W.D. Mann:

I wish to thank you for the cutting from "Town Topics" entitled "The Literary Show" forwarded to me at Atlantic City, which came just before we left and has been enjoyed by my whole family very much.

We arrived home to-day via Chicago.

Sincerely yours,

R.A. Alger

Col. W.D. Mann,

c/o "Town Topics"

New York, N.Y.

Very nice, large autograph of Alger. Minor age toning, and light wear. Very desirable, hard fighting Union Civil War officer related to the famous brigade of General George Armstrong Custer whose command he fought with at the Battle of Gettysburg, and was severely wounded chasing General Lee's army out of Pennsylvania in July 1863.


<b>Served on the U.S. Steamer Seminole</b>

(1843-93) He enlisted on January 30, 1863 at Boston, Massachusetts, as Masters Mate, and was assigned to duty onboard the U.S. Steamer Seminole. He remained serving on this vessel until November 15, 1865, and during the last year of the war, he was promoted to rank of "Acting Ensign." The U.S.S. Seminole was a steam sloop-of-war launched in the Pensacola, Florida Navy Yard in 1859, and was used early in the war on the eastern seaboard. At the time David had this photograph taken he was  at the Brooklyn Navy Yard as the Seminole was undergoing repairs. When completed the ship was assigned to the West Gulf Blockading Squadron. En route to her duty station she captured the Confederate steamer C.S.S. Charleston on July 11, 1863, and on September 11th she took the steamer Sir William Peel, off the mouth of the Rio Grande carrying 1,000 bales of cotton at the time of her capture. In August 1864, she participated in the Battle of Mobile Bay, Alabama.

Wet plate, albumen, carte de visite photograph, mounted to  2 3/8 x 4 card mount.  Full standing view of Perkins wearing a rolling collar frock coat with a single row of buttons and plain cuffs. He wears an oval belt plate and affixed to his belt at his waist is a Model 1852 Naval Officer’s sword. He poses in front of s studio background. There are a few small pin pricks at the upper center of the sky area which does not touch upon the subject in any way. Very sharp image. Back mark: Howard & Marsh's Gallery, 130 Fulton St., Brooklyn. There is a detailed advertisement below the photographer's imprint as follows: Photographs of all sizes, in India ink, Oil and Water Colors, Daguerreotypes and other Pictures, copied to any size. Very desirable armed Union naval officer's image.

The ID for this image comes from a published article titled, "Blockade Runners U.S. Steamer Seminole, West Gulf Blockading Squadron. 1863-1864: David King Perkins to Amelia Perkins. The article includes this exact pose and back mark as well as 8 war time letters that Masters Mate Perkins wrote home to his younger sister Caroline Amelia Perkins. It also includes a U.S. Naval document related to Perkins, and a beautiful pencil sketch of the U.S.S. Seminole at sea.       Priced per pair.

H 34in. x D 16in.

CDV, General John Hunt Morgan $395.00


Autograph, General Russell A. Alger $150.00


CDV, Masters Mate David King Perkins, U. $125.00


Priced per pair.
H 34in. x D 16in. $850.00

Priced per pair.

H 18in. x D 17in.  WOOD OFFICE DESK IN VERY GOOD CONDITION  Heavy wood gothic arched church window.  ROCCOCO MIRROR AND CONSOL.

Priced per pair.
H 18in. x D 17in. $950.00




gothic arched church window $300.00



< prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 next > home page! How to use this page! How to advertise here How we manage your personal information Terms of use TIAS home page